New AI Axis Pump- Avoid the brand label mark up

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For battery backup?

I just bought this on Amazon after a lot of chatter w/ @telegraham and others, was on sale for $178.
Found HERE

I have 1 smart plug into it and that controls 4 vital equipment. Return Chamber Pump, Heater, Kessil and Maxspect gyre pumps. Depending on the season I can pick what I want running.

Yes, for battery backup, because it's DC so it's supposed to work. I sent them the question but haven't heard back.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for battery backup, because it's DC so it's supposed to work. I sent them the question but haven't heard back.
The CoralBox (same as the IceCap V2) is reportedly a 24V, 4.4Ah, sealed lead acid battery. If so, it's crap and freakishly expensive for what it is.

Alternatively, you could spend $140 on this five-year warranty 20Ah EF River 2 direct from EF as a refurb. Connect that 12V port to a 12-24V boost converter (https://a.co/d/hvTfaoJ), and you have a way better backup for 24V pumps that can do other things as well (like charge your phone or power your gas furnace). https://www.ebay.com/itm/144819918766

The reefing hobby battery backup scene is full of sealed lead acid ripoffs.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CoralBox (same as the IceCap V2) is reportedly a 24V, 4.4Ah, sealed lead acid battery. If so, it's crap and freakishly expensive for what it is.

Alternatively, you could spend $140 on this five-year warranty 20Ah EF River 2 direct from EF as a refurb. Connect that 12V port to a 12-24V boost converter (https://a.co/d/hvTfaoJ), and you have a way better backup for 24V pumps that can do other things as well (like charge your phone or power your gas furnace). https://www.ebay.com/itm/144819918766

The reefing hobby battery backup scene is full of sealed lead acid ripoffs.
Thanks, the reefing hobby is full of all kinds of ripoffs unfortunately. The batteries wouldn't be such a huge ripoff if they would just switch to P04..... it would barely impact the margin and they would still make a huge profit. I DIY everything in my life, and sometimes I just want to buy something I don't have to build myself. I wish there were options that weren't such a ripoff.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the reefing hobby is full of all kinds of ripoffs unfortunately. The batteries wouldn't be such a huge ripoff if they would just switch to P04..... it would barely impact the margin and they would still make a huge profit. I DIY everything in my life, and sometimes I just want to buy something I don't have to build myself. I wish there were options that weren't such a ripoff.
I bought the River 2 to show those who think they need the Ecotech battery that there's a less expensive, and much more capable, alternative out there. One 12V port wire from Amazon and your Ecotech VorTechs won't know the difference. No DIYing required. https://a.co/d/6hrxQ4T

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the River 2 to show those who think they need the Ecotech battery that there's a less expensive, and much more capable, alternative out there. One 12V port wire from Amazon and your Ecotech VorTechs won't know the difference. No DIYing required. https://a.co/d/6hrxQ4T
That's great, would it work for other 12/24 pumps? I need a backup for a Jecod pump at the moment. Not currently using my MP10

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, would it work for other 12/24 pumps? I need a backup for a Jecod pump at the moment. Not currently using my MP10
It will work for any DC pump. Just need to feed the pump's controller native voltage. If other than 12V, you'll need a 12 to whatever voltage boost converter similar to Ecotech's Vectra Battery Backup Booster (12 to 136V).

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work for any DC pump. Just need to feed the pump's controller native voltage. If other than 12V, you'll need a 12 to whatever voltage boost converter similar to Ecotech's Vectra Battery Backup Booster (12 to 136V).
...or 36V. Please excuse the typo.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ZKSJ pump have a feed mode?
I don't know, but the Hygger does. On the recommendation of another member I ordered the Hygger, looks like it has a better controller and it's cheaper.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't notice that pump yet.
I was just comparing the OPs but you're right. That pump looks great and it is on amazon instead of alibaba.

Let me know when you get yours if it is quiet! ty

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just comparing the OPs but you're right. That pump looks great and it is on amazon instead of alibaba.

I have mine now, and it looks solid. I'm going to install it tomorrow and I will post back tomorrow night and let you know how it is.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alright! I've got mine hooked up and I'm happy to report it is very quiet. It is quieter than my Sicce Micra Plus which wouldn't stop clicking. The other advantage it has is that it's DC, so easier to use a battery. It remembers it's mode and it's power level after losing power and having it restored.

One word of advice if you get one. When you get it running make sure you check the mode and set it to M1 which is continuous. I thought I had a bad pump because it was throttling, but I realized then that it has multi modes and it was on some kind of wave mode. Once I got it into continuous, it works great as a return pump.

Really impressed for 60$

Last edited:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI Amazon also has the BS500 under IOAOI brand for only 30$. I decided to try this one as well because the Hygger is a little too powerful even on it's lowest setting for my Deskmate.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI Amazon also has the BS500 under IOAOI brand for only 30$. I decided to try this one as well because the Hygger is a little too powerful even on it's lowest setting for my Deskmate.

Great find! I'd need the 1200 but they only have the 500 :(.
What size is your deskmate? I'm curious if the hygger 396gph would be too much for my FijiCube 22.4g AIO. It might be close.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great find! I'd need the 1200 but they only have the 500 :(.
What size is your deskmate? I'm curious if the hygger 396gph would be too much for my FijiCube 22.4g AIO. It might be close.
I have the 9 gallon Florida. I would just shoot fijicube an e-mail and ask them what the overflow is rated for in that tank and base your decision on their answer.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Hygger and unfortunately, I hate it. I hear the motor spinning. I originally tried the suction cups, then today using the traditional "pills". My main purpose was I wanted something dead quiet.

I had a Sicce 1.0 silent.... nope.
Tried this... nope
I would try BS500 if more GPH.

I may pull the trigger on the Axis.

PS Aliexpress has the hygger but from Jebao.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Hygger and unfortunately, I hate it. I hear the motor spinning. I originally tried the suction cups, then today using the traditional "pills". My main purpose was I wanted something dead quiet.

I had a Sicce 1.0 silent.... nope.
Tried this... nope
I would try BS500 if more GPH.

I may pull the trigger on the Axis.

PS Aliexpress has the hygger but from Jebao.

The hygger was noisy for me at first and then quiet after a day. I think I got some sand it in the intake. After that it was dead silent. Either way, it was too much flow. The Sicce pumps suck. I tried two and both rattle and then vibrate like crazy. Got the BS500... it's usb, not DC. Have to get the 700 for DC with a controller. If I didn't want DC, it looks like a nice little pump.

Got fed up and ordered an axis. Wish I had from the start. Wasted a lot of time.

Last edited:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my axis 20 today. It’s great. Silent, and the app control is worth the markup to me after trying all the lower end pumps.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For battery backup?

I just bought this on Amazon after a lot of chatter w/ @telegraham and others, was on sale for $178.
Found HERE

I have 1 smart plug into it and that controls 4 vital equipment. Return Chamber Pump, Heater, Kessil and Maxspect gyre pumps. Depending on the season I can pick what I want running.

FYI these battery power stations are kinda a hobby / collection of mine

The one posted is a decent amount of watt hours (256) for the cost ($178)
There are many in this price range that are 250-300 watt hours

Next big step up is 500+ watt hours and there is normally a huge price jump

I am happy I found this, BigBlue 537 watt hour unit for $250 (it had a $50 coupon when I bought it so keep an eye out) currently $300 no coupon

Bigger battery = more run time but also = more time to charge. This one doesn’t take those 40-60w laptop style power adapters, it has a built in 300 watt charger and takes a normal IEC power cord. It will charge to 80% in about 90 minutes and no power brick to lose

Let’s say your gears load is 75 watts total

With the first one:
(256x.8) / 75w = 2.73 hours runtime

Second one
(537.5 x .8) / 75w = 5.73 hours

I use these on dc return pumps only during outages. I have several different ones. My 75g reef return pump is 20 watts (I reduce to 30% for outages to save power) and that will last me 21.5 hours.

If anyone is looking for a battery power station for roughly $120 more (no coupon) or 75$ more when the coupon is there, you can get over double the run time, and charge in 4x less time

The coupon comes and goes every few weeks

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back