New AI Axis Pump- Avoid the brand label mark up

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rebranding aside… app control aside… made in America opinions aside…

Does anyone have any insight into the reliability/performance of the ZKSJ/AI vertical centrifugal pump?

I’m looking at building my own AIO, I’d like to maximize the space of the filtration chambers by minimizing the space of the return chamber, and I’d be lying if I said that the vertical form factor didn’t make it extremely tempting. Comparing the Innovative Marine mighty jet midsize against the axis 40 (538 vs 400 gph) Im looking at a several inch reduction in needed return chamber width.

So, are vertical pumps like this viable? Are they noisier? Less durable long term?

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignoring the marketing speak for a minute why would you care what people are buying and why the push to avoid brands? Do you go out of your way to do this about everything else you see day to day regardless of product type, function, or use? Do you go out of your way to say avoid the named or boutique corals with high price tag(s) for color morphs of an acropora?

I do think that marketing be it hardware or chemical is very aggressive in this hobby but it is what it is. Onus is on the hobbyist and some will prefer brand A over knock off or copy cat. Others will do their research and come to their own conclusion and reasoning.

Spread love. Not avoidance.
I’m always happy to have someone point out a product that will save me money, I’m good with this post.

jandin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for showing us the cheaper, wired options OP. I'm not a big fan of Apps and wifi control considering that, once I find a setting that works, I will leave it and not change it. In my case a wire control is just fine so I can figure out the setting. I find smart-plugs for remote on/off control for maintenance to be more consistently useful than anything else.

Some of the militant "you're getting ripped off" comments are a bit much though. Some people want the apps and the controllability, and programming costs $$$. It's not a ripoff if you're getting something extra for the higher price.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost none of the "automation" providers today work without an internet connection. They are dumb and receive their telemetry from wherever your app is hosted. I found this out when my Apex system was offline for a whole day.... I could not control my ATO or RODI systems during that time.

It's possible, although unlikely, that if one still has the manual LED button controller, that may still provide some means of control when no form of internet really exists. If you really want to know what that is like, try unplugging your internet for a day or two and you'll see how useless the app and most of these automation solutions are in that situation. Also, one cannot go to the local IP or host name of the Apex device and control it, because if they did this would be awesome but they are financially motivated against that model of thought.

I used to automate everything, but each quarter, I see great tanks with little to no automation and certainly less frustration and expense.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Almost none of the "automation" providers today work without an internet connection. They are dumb and receive their telemetry from wherever your app is hosted. I found this out when my Apex system was offline for a whole day.... I could not control my ATO or RODI systems during that time.

It's possible, although unlikely, that if one still has the manual LED button controller, that may still provide some means of control when no form of internet really exists. If you really want to know what that is like, try unplugging your internet for a day or two and you'll see how useless the app and most of these automation solutions are in that situation. Also, one cannot go to the local IP or host name of the Apex device and control it, because if they did this would be awesome but they are financially motivated against that model of thought.

I used to automate everything, but each quarter, I see great tanks with little to no automation and certainly less frustration and expense.

You could have controlled your Apex. Go to apex.local or the IP address of the apex. No app needed. No outside connection to the internet. Even if your internet is dead and you still have a network up you can get on your apex.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The Apex has a built-in web server and can be used without an internet connection. You couldn’t connect to that when yours was off Fusion?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex has a built-in web server and can be used without an internet connection. You couldn’t connect to that when yours was off Fusion?

This is correct. Also the controller continues to work should the network be down.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hydros dosen't require internet. It works over wifi with or without an internet connection. It also has a bluetooth mode.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zero automation LPS tank. Not even an ato. I do have an older mp10/40 combo for flow, they are linked through Bluetooth or whatever they used 10 years ago. But they aren’t on a home network they just connect to each other wirelessly somehow.

015CF008-B747-4C37-BA64-6814F9F71CC6.jpeg

And to the OP topic, I appreciate the posting of the cheaper, original model to save others money in the future, if they prefer to. It’s good to know your options.

Last edited:

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. Also the controller continues to work should the network be down.
I was not able to access all the various controllers and modules.... no..... could I access the local web server, sure. Could I send a new program to anything, not at all. There's setting for each device to be on or off when it loses communication.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was not able to access all the various controllers and modules.... no..... could I access the local web server, sure. Could I send a new program to anything, not at all. There's setting for each device to be on or off when it loses communication.

You can definitely change programming locally without an internet connection.

The setting you’re referring is called Fallback and it’s for when modules lose communication with the brain, not for when the brain can’t connect to Fusion through the internet.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone bought this JKSJ brand?

I have 2 questions:

1. How quiet is this? I want a near silent pump for my AIO WB MP25, the sicce silent isn't so silent, perhaps due to size it touches the walls.

2. I use "smart switches" to turn my equipment on/off. If I set this pump to 7, and cut the power off from a smart switch, when I power it on will it go back to a 7 setting, or will it go to some default?

Thank you in advance!
Gaspare

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling through my Youtube feed last night and saw the new BRS video with AI's "new" Axis pumps for nano tanks. Took an existing pump, changed the color, got it to read to their app, and then jacked up the price and sent it for mass marketing. Save some money, here are the links to models from ZKSJ that I found.

Axis 20 for $99.99 at BRS
Axis 40 for $129.99 at BRS
Axis 90 for $169.99 at BRS

ZKSJ BS-700 Pump for $38.50
ZKSJ BS-1500 Pump for $69.50
ZKSJ BS-3500 Pump for $105.50
Find who really makes the Neros, and maybe I'll buy you one too. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if this will work with the coralbox backup from Reefbreeders.
For battery backup?

I just bought this on Amazon after a lot of chatter w/ @telegraham and others, was on sale for $178.
Found HERE

I have 1 smart plug into it and that controls 4 vital equipment. Return Chamber Pump, Heater, Kessil and Maxspect gyre pumps. Depending on the season I can pick what I want running.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back