New and could use some advice! I also have included an Algae Barn discount code for you!

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice Question 1: Lighting Acclimation -

I have a new AI prime HD on a small tank. Do I need to acclimate or is it ok to adjust the light to a par setting that is between 50 to 200 where my few LPS frags are at?

Advice Question 2: Clown Fish Jump Out Advice on Lid -

I was planning to have a glass top made with the center cut out. My tank is a half circle shaped tank.

The edge of the glass top would have an approximate 3” ledge in the back overlap (straight part of the tank - tank back) And with an inch or so overlapping to go around the circular part of the tank front. The idea is to essentially make a ledge around the entire perimeter of the lid with an open center.

I have read clown fish don’t jump often, but if they do - it is generally to their demise! So, how high can they jump? I can make the lid up to a 1/2 inch thick and still have a partial open top with the center of the lid cut out. (The thicker glass does get more pricy though).

I currently have egg crate with a clear vinyl sheet glued underneath to help a little with the splash out and salt creep I was experiencing. I’m worried the current set up with the egg crate and clear vinyl sheet may ultimately impact my par readings where I don’t have it consistent. I also think the glass lid idea with a cut out perimeter and open center will be a better over all look. However - could I possibly loose fish this way and/or if I make this glass thick enough / how high can these guys jump?!?

Ok - I appreciate any information you all have!

Here is a quick 2 minute video of when I first started my tank so you can see what it looks like!

If you want an Algae Barn discount code - here is a video I did on a diy fuge light experiment!

Talk later - Josh

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome51.gif

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! If you already know that the par around your lps is between 50 to 200, then I would adjust the new light to that and turn it on. If you don;t already know what the par is then I would acclimate the tank. Having LPS in the tank, you will most likely use mainly blue channels anyway. My clown fish porpoise when I feed them, but I have never seen then jump, but anything is possible. They are not great swimmers, so they won't jump like a wrasse or a tang.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Everyone's setup is different, but you read a lot of threads with people struggling with glass tops... air exchange, ph, salt creep, etc.

I believe there is a mesh netting material. I've seen it on BRS and elsewhere, that should keep your fish in the tank and not affect your light levels to the degree egg crate can.

spockwelcome.jpg

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the greetings.

Message to @BeejReef - one reason I don't know if the mesh top will work is I would need some sort of curved / half circle frame which I don't believe is made for the mesh tops???? Do you know of one?

Check out one of my videos if you can - to see what I mean relative to a non square/non rectangle frame.

If it was rectangle or square - I totally think that would be the way to go. But with it being a curved tank - I've not ran across a curved mesh top yet. And I think it's because there are no curved frames for a mesh top???

Any thoughts or know how on that?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back