New and need tank advice

jcabral125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone so clearly by the title I’m new to the hobby and need some help. A little backstory first I took over this tank from my former roommate that moved and didn’t take the tank with him. Before I took over the tank it had been broken down to be moved and set back up 2 times but the tank is about 6 months old. There are 2 clowns, skunk shrimp, emerald crab, couple snails and hermits. The tank is 15 gal I have bio balls and chemipure blue filter, one flu all sea cp1 pump, coral life seascape led, there used to be a skimmer but I took it off. I’ve been taking care of the tank for about 3 months now and have begun to run into what are either diatoms or Cyanobacteria. I have also never been able to get any nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, or phosphate which is the initial reason why I took off the skimmer. I have tried cutting down my light time, feeding the fish less (feeding them about 1cm cube of mysis shrimp), using a baster to turn the sand, cleaned some rock with 3% peroxide, moved rocks for better flow, and now going on day 2 of dosing the tank with dr Tim’s one and only. Seems whatever the problem in its still about the same. Is my tank cycling? Should get a qt tank and take out my fish and let the tank sit with no lighting for a bit? Any help or advice is appreciated.
Tank parameters
Salinity-1.026
Temp-78
Nitrate, nitrite, phos, ammonia-0
Ph-8
Dkh-107
Calcium-500
Would like to begin getting some corals in the tank but with this continual growth I want to hold off so I haven’t dosed and alkalinity.

20223253-6384-406B-9111-4B52735E6181.jpeg 9BBEF2B3-5E89-49B4-AC6B-D23251EC0F55.jpeg 8A065C7C-1895-476D-BB41-DA418A530261.jpeg

maleshka21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone so clearly by the title I’m new to the hobby and need some help. A little backstory first I took over this tank from my former roommate that moved and didn’t take the tank with him. Before I took over the tank it had been broken down to be moved and set back up 2 times but the tank is about 6 months old. There are 2 clowns, skunk shrimp, emerald crab, couple snails and hermits. The tank is 15 gal I have bio balls and chemipure blue filter, one flu all sea cp1 pump, coral life seascape led, there used to be a skimmer but I took it off. I’ve been taking care of the tank for about 3 months now and have begun to run into what are either diatoms or Cyanobacteria. I have also never been able to get any nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, or phosphate which is the initial reason why I took off the skimmer. I have tried cutting down my light time, feeding the fish less (feeding them about 1cm cube of mysis shrimp), using a baster to turn the sand, cleaned some rock with 3% peroxide, moved rocks for better flow, and now going on day 2 of dosing the tank with dr Tim’s one and only. Seems whatever the problem in its still about the same. Is my tank cycling? Should get a qt tank and take out my fish and let the tank sit with no lighting for a bit? Any help or advice is appreciated.
Tank parameters
Salinity-1.026
Temp-78
Nitrate, nitrite, phos, ammonia-0
Ph-8
Dkh-107
Calcium-500
Would like to begin getting some corals in the tank but with this continual growth I want to hold off so I haven’t dosed and alkalinity.

20223253-6384-406B-9111-4B52735E6181.jpeg 9BBEF2B3-5E89-49B4-AC6B-D23251EC0F55.jpeg 8A065C7C-1895-476D-BB41-DA418A530261.jpeg
read this https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely the alk is a typo it’s not 107 right? And cyano could be forming due to not enough flow/ too much nutrient. What lighting do you have on the tank? The tank is cycled due to the amount of time / living fish

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back