New and Overwhelmed

Cap’n Bork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Newly joined here on R2R and to aquariums in general. Having said that, I’m really excited to learn all about setting up and maintaining my first FOWLR tank and I was directed here for advice from seasoned pros. I’ll be honest, I know next to nothing about being an aquarist and after watching videos and reading up on it, it’s very overwhelming and intimidating. Growing up my dad always kept a 55 gallon fresh water tank and had always wanted to do salt water, but said it was just too expensive. Not to mention this was before one could Google any question you had or find a detailed walkthrough on YouTube. I do know this isn’t a cheap hobby by any means to get into, and I’m in no rush, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning all I can.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to the neighborhood. I would just say take your time and research your item list before you buy anything on a spur of the moment. Larger volume tanks are more forgiving of mistakes then smaller tanks so bigger tends to be easier here generally but of course cost factors in. It's a beautiful hobby.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

We ALL were initially intimated my the fact that we were keeping a saltwater tank. Do not be afraid to ask any and all questions. This is why R2R is here. ;) :)

OP
OP
Cap’n Bork

Cap’n Bork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to the neighborhood. I would just say take your time and research your item list before you buy anything on a spur of the moment. Larger volume tanks are more forgiving of mistakes then smaller tanks so bigger tends to be easier here generally but of course cost factors in. It's a beautiful hobby.
Thanks! And that really brings me to my first real question. I understand that in this case bigger tanks are more forgiving. And I’ve read plenty of sites, and seen many videos that say the same thing. So I guess my question then comes down to the maintenance I suppose? Because I’ve never owned a tank before, and I’ve read that 75 gallon tanks are good for beginners, but that seems like such a large tank to take on for someone like myself, if that makes sense? I’m not in a rush to have livestock right away. I’m fine with just maintaining a tank with water and maybe some plants to begin until I’m comfortable with cycling, water changes, chemical balance, etc.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome ! The best advice for fish keeping is to take your time. Patience is key in this hobby and anything that goes fast is a recipe for disaster.

Also, do your own research before buying any fish and/or coral. Especially since saltwater fish are expensive.

Besides that, just have fun with it ! :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And that really brings me to my first real question. I understand that in this case bigger tanks are more forgiving. And I’ve read plenty of sites, and seen many videos that say the same thing. So I guess my question then comes down to the maintenance I suppose? Because I’ve never owned a tank before, and I’ve read that 75 gallon tanks are good for beginners, but that seems like such a large tank to take on for someone like myself, if that makes sense? I’m not in a rush to have livestock right away. I’m fine with just maintaining a tank with water and maybe some plants to begin until I’m comfortable with cycling, water changes, chemical balance, etc.
75g here is a low medium size tank. I came over from freshwater. Had tanks many years. Small tanks were easy to maintain but when something happened it happened fast. When I wanted to get into nice plants and more exotic fish I stepped up to a 32g and even that had issues at times. I knew getting my first salt tank for reefing that I should get as large as my budget and room space allowed. Everything I researched said it would make the transition and start up easier. I got a 65g display with 15g sump so 80g total volume and wish I could have went bigger. After rock scape and corals the interior fills up pretty quick. What's nice about the salt water side is once your tank matures then the maintenance seems to get much easier. The first year is a challenge though and I'm only 6 months in. I would say don't hesitate to go bigger if your budget allows for it. 75g is a good starting point but 125g can give you much more options on fish for your fowler too.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 120 gal tank. Maintenance is subjective depending on your work schedule and what you feel is a lot of work. My current 225 gal tank upgrade is no more work, its just more of it, if that makes sense.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sadly it will take awhile before it is completely overwhelming. This site for example...the great thing is many very supportive helpful members...the bad thing is many supportive helpful members with different ideal ways of doing things :). It can be overwhelming

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It all can get overwhelming but it’s not to hard once you understand how everything is working. Just go slow watch some BRS videos on YouTube. Talk with some fellow reefers on the forums. Tank recommendations(side note I’m new to aquariums too) I would say go with 100 gallon if you can go that large, I was going to but went with a 55gallon and can see there are more options with livestock and stuff at the 100gallon mark. I should have went larger like everyone was saying. Lol

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome to the family! The fact that you are doing your research before getting started is awesome. While the concept of keeping a saltwater tank may seem daunting, you'll find as you progress that it's not nearly as hard as it seems. Actually, the chemistry involved is fascinating, and is a large part of what makes this hobby so enticing. As you continue your research, and start building your system, you will probably have a lot of questions. Fire away. There is no question so basic, that it doesn't deserve to be asked. That's what we're here for. To support each other.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I am also new to saltwater. Had fresh water tanks on and off my whole life. Always admired the saltwater fish, much more beautiful in my opinion, and all the coral. Was always too scared to just jump in. But I did and I am very happy. I went small 13.5 and a 20, would recommend bigger, but those sizes were good for my budget, and have helped me learn the importance of a maintenance schedule.

Patience, research, time you can commit. These will help you immensely in your decision.

Fowlr is a great way to start as it eliminates the complexity of maintain elements for corals. Water changes and basic maintenance is enough. Then you can ease into corals and upgrade as you need.

Buy quality equipment. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but somewhere in your budget that has good reviews and people recommend.

Quality test kits. Never used API, but from threads here. They are not the most reliable.

Ask whatever question you need help with in one of the forums. No such thing as a stupid question. People on R2R are here to ask also, and some have years of experience that will be happy to lend a hand in your journey.

Good Luck!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I am also new to saltwater. Had fresh water tanks on and off my whole life. Always admired the saltwater fish, much more beautiful in my opinion, and all the coral. Was always too scared to just jump in. But I did and I am very happy. I went small 13.5 and a 20, would recommend bigger, but those sizes were good for my budget, and have helped me learn the importance of a maintenance schedule.

Patience, research, time you can commit. These will help you immensely in your decision.

Fowlr is a great way to start as it eliminates the complexity of maintain elements for corals. Water changes and basic maintenance is enough. Then you can ease into corals and upgrade as you need.

Buy quality equipment. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but somewhere in your budget that has good reviews and people recommend.

Quality test kits. Never used API, but from threads here. They are not the most reliable.

Ask whatever question you need help with in one of the forums. No such thing as a stupid question. People on R2R are here to ask also, and some have years of experience that will be happy to lend a hand in your journey.

Good Luck!
Excellent Post!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back