New and Overwhelmed

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And that really brings me to my first real question. I understand that in this case bigger tanks are more forgiving. And I’ve read plenty of sites, and seen many videos that say the same thing. So I guess my question then comes down to the maintenance I suppose? Because I’ve never owned a tank before, and I’ve read that 75 gallon tanks are good for beginners, but that seems like such a large tank to take on for someone like myself, if that makes sense? I’m not in a rush to have livestock right away. I’m fine with just maintaining a tank with water and maybe some plants to begin until I’m comfortable with cycling, water changes, chemical balance, etc.

Welcome! Glad you joined

Saltwater plants are usually referred to as macroalgaes, but guess it depends what you have in mind. FOWLR is definitely a good way to start.

It was already said here, but the best advice is go slow.

This is a great reference book type article, but it is too much info for one sitting. I still go back and look at it from time to time.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! I'm fairly new as well. My best advice is to go slow and ask questions. Also... separate what you need to do a FOWLR vs a reef setup. A lot of the extra equipment, tests, lighting, food, etc are needed for a tank with corals. Setting up a saltwater fish only tank is not much different than setting up a freshwater tank. If you have good city water you probably won't even need RODI water. Currently I have just fish in my sw tank and my setup is exactly the same as my freshwater tanks, except for the salt. I use conditioned tap water. I'm planning to add corals in the near future so I'm preparing for enhanced circulation, lighting, etc. I might even try the corals with tap water. My tank will stay sumpless even with coral. :)

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Newly joined here on R2R and to aquariums in general. Having said that, I’m really excited to learn all about setting up and maintaining my first FOWLR tank and I was directed here for advice from seasoned pros. I’ll be honest, I know next to nothing about being an aquarist and after watching videos and reading up on it, it’s very overwhelming and intimidating. Growing up my dad always kept a 55 gallon fresh water tank and had always wanted to do salt water, but said it was just too expensive. Not to mention this was before one could Google any question you had or find a detailed walkthrough on YouTube. I do know this isn’t a cheap hobby by any means to get into, and I’m in no rush, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning all I can.
Welcome to R2R!!!

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best place on the internet for reefing information. This place is so awesome with so many people willing to help. So glad you found us!

R.jpeg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Newly joined here on R2R and to aquariums in general. Having said that, I’m really excited to learn all about setting up and maintaining my first FOWLR tank and I was directed here for advice from seasoned pros. I’ll be honest, I know next to nothing about being an aquarist and after watching videos and reading up on it, it’s very overwhelming and intimidating. Growing up my dad always kept a 55 gallon fresh water tank and had always wanted to do salt water, but said it was just too expensive. Not to mention this was before one could Google any question you had or find a detailed walkthrough on YouTube. I do know this isn’t a cheap hobby by any means to get into, and I’m in no rush, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning all I can.
welcome to Reef2Reef!
D4847534-F8B3-4F8D-9F6F-E15833128C9B.jpeg

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped in with a 55 gallon, enjoyed just getting it filled with live sand, rock and saltwater at first. Did some research to get the nitrogen cycle going and just let it cook for a few months while enjoying the BRS videos as well as plenty of others. So many "Top 10 new reefer "mistakes to avoid, things to do, best fish to get", etc." It was all fascinating. Eventually started acquiring invertebrates and fish and it's gone quite well. On the verge of my first coral, so really excited for that. Took stock of the repeated advice of doing regular water changes which I think has served me well.
Welcome to R2R!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back