Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pictures don’t show it but he is very bright green with red tips in real life so I don’t know if that is the case. Any other suggestions.

Colors are pigments and do not mean it is not bleached.. Bleached is when zooxanthellae leave the coral or anemone.
Sometimes both can leave and it is white but not all the time. Sometimes the pigments are still there and they cause the colors of green or pink etc. but does not mean it still aint bleached. Zooxanthellae are actually brown and provide the food for the anemone. Basically A coral or anemone can still have color and be bleached, that is when they almost look neon in color.

That said it is bleached with out a doubt. It does not look totally bleached though because the base has some brown in it.
If that is the case it should be able to recover.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see an anemone's the foot inflated, it means that it is moving. Your BTA is moving and will try to find a sot to settle in. BTA like to hid it's foot and spread the oral plate toward light.
Other comments:
Your tank looks brand new and may not be suitable for anemone, even BTA which is one of the easiest anemone to keep.
Bleached anemones loose the brown color resulting in brighter colors. Your anemone is not completely bleached and will be fine with regard to his zooxanthellae if other things are fine.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors are pigments and do not mean it is not bleached.. Bleached is when zooxanthellae leave the coral or anemone.
Sometimes both can leave and it is white but not all the time. Sometimes the pigments are still there and they cause the colors of green or pink etc. but does not mean it still aint bleached. Zooxanthellae are actually brown and provide the food for the anemone.

That said it is bleached with out a doubt. It does not look totally bleached though because the base has some brown in it.
If that is the case it should be able to recover.
Ok Thanks. Should I try dosing some vinegar to boost Zooxanthellae populations. I read that it can help. Or should i just leave it alone?

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see an anemone's the foot inflated, it means that it is moving. Your BTA is moving and will try to find a sot to settle in. BTA like to hid it's foot and spread the oral plate toward light.
Other comments:
Your tank looks brand new and may not be suitable for anemone, even BTA which is one of the easiest anemone to keep.
Bleached anemones loose the brown color resulting in brighter colors. Your anemone is not completely bleached and will be fine with regard to his zooxanthellae if other things are fine.
Ok and my tank is 1 1/2 months old. This may not be the longest but everything in my tank has been completely stable for 1 month.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok Thanks. Should I try dosing some vinegar to boost Zooxanthellae populations. I read that it can help. Or should i just leave it alone?

Vinegar boosts bacteria not zooxanthellae..

It should be fine as long as conditions are right and the anemone will adjust the zooxanthellae as need be . After a few days you could try and feed it something like a few mysis.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? How many watts are they? Can you post a full tank photo?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland 14,000k 24 watt reef strip. I’ll give photo in one min

image.jpg

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemones need pretty strong light- I don't have personal experience with that light, but I don't believe that it is strong enough to keep the anemone healthy. Your tank is also very very young. I personally will not put an anemone in a tank or recommend putting an anemone in a tank until kt is at least 6 months old, but I generally will wait a year.
@Amoo @James M

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemones need pretty strong light- I don't have personal experience with that light, but I don't believe that it is strong enough to keep the anemone healthy. Your tank is also very very young. I personally will not put an anemone in a tank or recommend putting an anemone in a tank until kt is at least 6 months old, but I generally will wait a year.
@Amoo @James M
14,000 Kelvin’s is 2,000 kelvin’s above minimum for an anemone.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14,000 Kelvin’s is 2,000 kelvin’s above minimum for an anemone.
kelvin is the color temperature rating. I don't know where you got that info, because people have run their tanks for years under 10K "daylight" without any issues.
It has nothing to do with the light power.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back