New anemone problem

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with others to leave it alone and it will settle where it's comfortable. One thing I would suggest is to cover your power heads (if you have them) until it does settle. If it goes on a walk/swim about and tangles with your power head, it will likely loose, and so might your other inhabitants!!!

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a biocube, and ammonia, nitrite, andddd nitrate all read 0, I would make sure your test kits are not outdated/expired.

Also, the reason the nem did that is to expel toxin inside of it. The nem would not have an open mouth if light was the problem.

Drop acclimation does nothing except for temperature. Not really sure who suggested that but that gets spread a lot throughout the forums. Takes much longer than a day. Somewhere once I saw the rate of change that saltwater creatures can handle out there on the forums.

Ideal condition is to change your display tank to match the water parameters that the nem was used to.

Good luck! I'm sure the little guy will be fine. Biggest thing is just leave it alone and observe.

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a biocube, and ammonia, nitrite, andddd nitrate all read 0, I would make sure your test kits are not outdated/expired.

Also, the reason the nem did that is to expel toxin inside of it. The nem would not have an open mouth if light was the problem.

Drop acclimation does nothing except for temperature. Not really sure who suggested that but that gets spread a lot throughout the forums. Takes much longer than a day. Somewhere once I saw the rate of change that saltwater creatures can handle out there on the forums.

Ideal condition is to change your display tank to match the water parameters that the nem was used to.

Good luck! I'm sure the little guy will be fine. Biggest thing is just leave it alone and observe.

Tests kits are all in date. I test with more than one kit. (OCD)
I sure wish the leaving him alone part was easier to do. Lol. I have my fingers crossed.

Thank you! I appreciate your help

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou's looking better!

IMG_4337.JPG

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drip acclimation also account for slight salinity changes. For inverts like nems I put them in minimal water then drip my tank water for an hour.
20161215125740-1.jpg

Recent rock flower order dripping

Also changing the parameters of your tank to match every coral added would do more harm to your existing inhabitants instead of a slow acclimation to the new arrival

convictions13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding bta's that are still getting used to a new tank puts unnecessary stress on them. I buy and sell bta's and i make sure I add marine snow to the aquarium when new ones are added. It always perks mine up after adding them and they will get more out of the water that they bubble their tentacles up with for a boost of nutrients without putting stress on it. I also fed my first ones two little fishes marine snow in a 29 biocube and it grew awesome.

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding bta's that are still getting used to a new tank puts unnecessary stress on them. I buy and sell bta's and i make sure I add marine snow to the aquarium when new ones are added. It always perks mine up after adding them and they will get more out of the water that they bubble their tentacles up with for a boost of nutrients without putting stress on it. I also fed my first ones two little fishes marine snow in a 29 biocube and it grew awesome.

I'll look into getting that. Thank you! He's all plumped up now. Absolutely beautiful.
I gave him a small piece of shrimp earlier. Hopefully I didn't stress him too much.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better inked, I'm in Abilene by the way!

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be doing a water change , it may re inflate once used to your water . Give it consistency. It won't feed in that state. As long as its attached, it may well move once adjusted and I would give a light feed once he's picked up just to restore some energy.
Good luck .give it time but if it continues and it starts to turn inside out from his mouth area remove it from the tank . Nems are cool but tricky .......

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou is doing well. I think he's finally lived a spot. My regular water change is tomorrow. Is there any reason I should wait? He's been in the tank a week. I don't want to upset him unnecessarily.

Thanks!!!

convictions13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be fine with a water change, just make sure the salinity is the same so there's no fluctuation. If you ever use a buffer they really hate that and will deflate immediately and look terrible for a few hrs so dose it in the filtration away from him.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back