New anemone problem

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys,
I was gifted a BTA yesterday for Christmas. I hadn't planned on adding one for at least a couple of months but had no choice. It looked good this morning, (left blue lights on last night) I turned white lights on to feed fish and about 8 minutes later it was very deflated. I turned blues back on. Im very worried about it. I like to do my best to ensure the best chance of survival for my tank.
My plan is to just leave it be. Try to increase whites over a week or two.
Any other suggestions?

IMG_4334.JPG

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it is feed, It is getting used to your system. The anemone will move to where it is happy.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you drip acclimate it? Anemones are pretty sensitive and are on the list of invertebrates to definitely drip acclimate. When placing the anemone it is best to turn off all flow and itll attach its foot. If you are worried about light intensity you can just put a shade over the spit the anemone sits or dim the lights if able to. If done this way and if the flow isnt too direct, the chances of the nem moving will be minimal.

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you drip acclimate it? Anemones are pretty sensitive and are on the list of invertebrates to definitely drip acclimate. When placing the anemone it is best to turn off all flow and itll attach its foot. If you are worried about light intensity you can just put a shade over the spit the anemone sits or dim the lights if able to. If done this way and if the flow isnt too direct, the chances of the nem moving will be minimal.

Yes, I drip acclimated. It attached almost immediately. Flow was off and only blue lights were on. I didn't think about adding a shade. I'll do that. Thank you!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told not to feed it for a week. Is that incorrect?

I never feed mine :)

I feed mine, for the reason I have lost a two before. My reasoning was that they starved. My current one is pretty healthy and big. Some tanks such as @twilliard the anemone do not need feeding, which in my book is lucky:)
My clown will drag food over to the anemone but the clown misses half the time. I feed mine a small slice of shrimp every two of three days.

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine, for the reason I have lost a two before. My reasoning was that they starved. My current one is pretty healthy and big. Some tanks such as @twilliard the anemone do not need feeding, which in my book is lucky:)
My clow will drag food over to the anemone but the clown misses half the time. I feed mine a small slice of shrimp every two of three days.

Ok. Will do. Thank you!!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown will drag food over to the anemone but the clown misses half the time. I feed mine a small slice of shrimp every two of three days.
This is so true! Depends on how the tank is fed.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been set up?
What are your current water parameters --- with numbers please.
Do you know what lights it was under?
Was it shipped or from an LFS.

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been set up?
What are your current water parameters --- with numbers please.
Do you know what lights it was under?
Was it shipped or from an LFS.

This tank 6 mos old.
ammonia: 0, ph: 8.3 nitrite 0, nitrate: 0

It was under compact fluorescents. It was purchased from individual about an hour from me. (Gift)

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good. I would just leave it alone and watch what it does.

As for feeding, anemones when happy, will easily accept food. If the anemone is unhappy it won't take food.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back