New Apex A3 Temp probe changed

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3976.jpg
IMG_3977.jpg
I just got the new Apex A3 Pro. The temperature probe does not look like any of the pictures or videos. Now I'm wondering if I was supposed to remove the cap? All the marketing shows a different probe.
IMG_3974 2.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked up the A3 on BRS. They do show a different probe, but the probe you have is the same one I have on my classic, and the same probe they supply with the "new" apex, and apparently on the newer A3 now too.

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It threw me off. Same one I have on my other tank. Gyp! But not the end of the world. :)

On another topic, the ORP probe leaked in the box. I opened a support ticket for that one.

IMG_3969.jpg

lvzx14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that came with my a3 pro I ordered a couple months back looks like the one they advertise for the A3 with the tinted plastic body and white neptune logo.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save those caps for the pH and orp probes. They come in handy if you need to store the probes in the future. Hanna sells storage solution.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. It threw me off. Same one I have on my other tank. Gyp! But not the end of the world. :)

On another topic, the ORP probe leaked in the box. I opened a support ticket for that one.

IMG_3969.jpg

The buildup around the probe is typical and nothing to worry about

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Neptune told me the ORP probe does not need a lot of water. Seems to be OK. All the probes seem to be OK, based on some cross-checking the results. bThanks for all the replies.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. I just received my first A3 Pro and have the same stuff. Crusty dry ORP probe and classic style temp probe. Thinking I got a “Black Friday deal” from BRS. Haha

AAB77430-6518-485E-8E30-D5A36BD4D8DB.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny! I'm guessing they ran out of the new probes and decided to get rid of the old inventory...

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to be working fine. ORP is low in both my tanks, about 250's. Not going to worry about it, 'cause I don't do anything to change it. I figure it is what it is.... I do care about PH and temp and those I cross check once a week. Otherwise I'm happy with the A3. I do like eliminating one FMM module.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the ORP number to much, its more about establishing what is "normal" then watching for abnormal. FYI, if the ORP is trending opposite of your PH then its probably working correctly.

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got my A3 today, same thing, old probe not matching the pictures on the box. Any definitive answer on this one?
CFC91B63-AFBE-473A-AD80-8BD32980987F.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing new on this temp probe topic. I have 2 tanks running off 1 sump. The A3 probe in the sump reads about 1/2 degree below the A2 in the DT consistently. Dual Helio heaters are in the sump. I kept the A2 to use in a future tank, but left it running. As long as it works, I don't have any concerns with the temp probe. Interestingly, the PH probes are .2 difference. I can't get the readings closer after many calibration attempts. Mildly annoying when I hit over 8.2 on the A3 probe the alarm for 8.4 goes off on the A2. Cross checking with a Hanna indicates the A3 is closer to Hanna readings. I think I've come to accept these are hobby grade tools and not completely accurate. I shoot for an acceptable range and try not to chase numbers too much. Stability is key for me. And as long as the coral and fish are healthy, that is a better indicator. YMMV

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing new on this temp probe topic. I have 2 tanks running off 1 sump. The A3 probe in the sump reads about 1/2 degree below the A2 in the DT consistently. Dual Helio heaters are in the sump. I kept the A2 to use in a future tank, but left it running. As long as it works, I don't have any concerns with the temp probe. Interestingly, the PH probes are .2 difference. I can't get the readings closer after many calibration attempts. Mildly annoying when I hit over 8.2 on the A3 probe the alarm for 8.4 goes off on the A2. Cross checking with a Hanna indicates the A3 is closer to Hanna readings. I think I've come to accept these are hobby grade tools and not completely accurate. I shoot for an acceptable range and try not to chase numbers too much. Stability is key for me. And as long as the coral and fish are healthy, that is a better indicator. YMMV
Thanks for the detailed reply, as I install this I will cross check with other instruments as well. This is my first Apex, so I can’t compare with previous versions, overall, I’m with you, observing and as long as the animals are healthy and thriving, I’m good.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did reach out to Neptune about mine after receiving the old style temp probe and they told me the new style was on back order when my kit was put together and sent me a replacement new style. Good Customer service.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back