New Apex Pro salinity probe question

Dami2205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my firt Apex and the salinity probe is not the Pro bundle, I Purchase the salinity probe but the calibration fluid is not includes???!!! Do I really need it to get it going?? Help tks

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my firt Apex and the salinity probe is not the Pro bundle, I Purchase the salinity probe but the calibration fluid is not includes???!!! Do I really need it to get it going?? Help tks
It’s definitely recommended to calibrate the probe. Also, I share your frustration. I have no idea why Neptune doesn’t include the calibration solutions with the probes they sell. Makes no sense.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should absolutely get the correct calibration fluid. These probes are pretty finicky which is why the probsbly stopped including them.

OP
OP
D

Dami2205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well noted I will get the solution and the holders while I’m at it. ;) Any other suggestions that I’m might be missing??

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well noted I will get the solution and the holders while I’m at it. ;) Any other suggestions that I’m might be missing??
Very much recommend the stability kit from VCA. You’ll need a small pump or a connection to a manifold using a 1/4 push connect fitting and you’ll be just fine! Salinity probes from Neptune are often bad but that stability kit can help keep it accurate and stable. Not an ad I promise lol

OP
OP
D

Dami2205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it… I have added just that and this is how my shopping cart looks like by the way I’m going to connect to my carbon reactor that is the reason for the push connect fitting, hehe.

Thanks for the help!!! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

25BA3ABF-C287-4905-9149-481986D11E24.jpeg

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it… I have added just that and this is how my shopping cart looks like by the way I’m going to connect to my carbon reactor that is the reason for the push connect fitting, hehe.

Thanks for the help!!! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

25BA3ABF-C287-4905-9149-481986D11E24.jpeg
Looking good!

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't do it. No matter how much you spend it will not stay calibrated or give accurate readings.
You can use salinity probe as range device but never to pinpoint.
Neptune doesn't include calibration fluid because they expire. Imagine your frustration if Neptune sold you salinity probe with expired calibration fluid.

Get a salinity pen with money you saved.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dami2205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I have used the salinity fluid and it is pretty accurate (so far hehe) now I have another slightly issue I’m trying to change to PPT instead of SG and I’m really off I use a Hanna checker for my salinity tester and I read 1.026 on SG but when I switch to PPT I read 38.01 I’m confused now!! =?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back