New Aquarium Hobbyist, The ups and downs

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to talk about the ups and downs of being a beginner in the hobby. Let’s start with the downs I’ve experienced:

1.)Learned the hard way about tank cycling by losing 3 corals, 2 of which were really expensive. (Also being the animal lover I am, I felt guilty for accidentally killing corals and I feel horrible). I wish I was told about tank cycling before I even purchased my corals, but they never asked me if I did.

2.)High Nitrates out of control, and having a hard time figuring out what the problem is (I’m still struggling with this, but the levels are slowly getting a little better after a water and filter changes). If anyone out there had any suggestions as to what I can do to lower levels PLEASE HELP!!!!

3.)It is NOT EASY!!!! This hobby requires a lot of time money, and effort into making sure water parameters are correct a few examples include; Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, calcium, pH, salinity, temperature. Holy crap this is literally a chemistry, so be prepared to be testing and adjusting all the time for your sea creatures!

4.)Don’t get too many things all at once; you’ll be overwhelmed with the amount of elements you’re trying to keep stable in the aquarium, and I lost 3 corals because of this!

Onto the ups:

1.) Sea creatures are actually some of the coolest things I’ve ever owned!!! There are so many different varieties of fish, invertebrates, crustaceans, and so on that you can add to your tank. One of my favourite so far is the Sea Urchin - It’s the only living being on the planet that can see with no eyes, I’m mind blown by that!

2.) The aquarium looks absolutely stunning once you have it set up and everything settled. I love watching my sea creatures go about doing what they do, it’s mesmerizing.

3.)The animals in my tank are so curious about me!! I love that I can pick up my starfish and sea urchin, and they check me out. My cleaner shrimp also loves when I put my hand in the tank for him to clean, and it tickles :D

4.)The hard work and effort put into the hobby does pay off, you just need to be patient and learn from mistakes.

5.)Once you start to get the hang of the hobby, it starts to feel less overwhelming and you really start to understand what can be throwing certain levels off (you learn your own process of elimination).

6.)SEA LIFE IS AWESOME!!! It’s actually quite amazing to witness how much personality fish can have considering they’re so different from us. My clown fish literally attacks my hand and has attitude, it’s hilarious. I have a little bite mark from her.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I'm sorry to hear about your lost corals, you may want to find a new LFS (local fish store) if they didn't even bother to talk about cycling! For nitrate control, I highly recommend you look into an Algae Turf scrubber (plenty of reading you can do here, or watch youtube vids). It basically creates a perfect environment for algae to grow, which absorbs excess nitrates, and then you can throw the algae away which will grow back, repeating the process and keeping unwanted algae and nitrates out of your display.

spend lots of time checking out build threads for tanks you like, and start a build thread yourself if you can manage it! Don't be afraid to ask questions. You're welcome to message me if I can ever be of assistance.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have had some of those problems and think almost everyone here has too. For the next time around they sell (at least they do in the US) bottled bacteria so you don't need to go through the cycle.

1a-Welcome Aboard.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! Many of us have made similar mistakes. The learning curve can be steep, but it sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Ask lots of questions- we're here to help!

manaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate, I'm new to this forum but 29 years in the hobby, high nitrates is usually an input output problem. Often it can be as simple as feeding too much so look at the amount you are feeding. Sometimes it can be more complex. This example won't be widely known. As they say, everyday is a school day. Often (even experienced reefers) fill areas with porus ceramic media. Their thinking, more media, more beneficial bacteria which means a cleaner aquarium. Well actually it usually just ends up in higher nitrates. On the whole Aerobic (oxygen loving bacteria) colonize these areas with the end product being nitrate! You can seed your aquarium with PNS bacteria but that's a whole different subject. For now I'd look at feeding and how much ceramic media you have.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back