New Aquarium Owner looking for help

Tomhodg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending many months researching a hobby that I could really get into, I have found it.

I recently went and purchased this tank: the previous owner had owned it for 9 months and included everything that you can see in the picture (2 clowns, 2 yellowtail, 2 crabs, live rock, live sand and some snails).

The system itself has everything integrated which is nice.

I wanted some ideas on rock placement/introducing coral to the aquarium and some suggestions on what to add as a new aquarium owner.

Also, the clowns are very aggresive towards the yellow tails, is there anything that I can do to make their lives easier?

Thank you!

20200530_140735.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are an aggressive species, especially if there is a pair.
Fish need places to hide so I would add some more rock & a little sand.
Aim your powerhead upward some to avoid blowing sand, you should also lower it a bit.

OP
OP
T

Tomhodg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I'll head on out to buy some more rock tomorrow and change the way the power head is going.

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard you can put a mirror to the glass for a few days and it'll help with aggression in some fish but honestly they're both aggressive species and pretty hardy. some nipping and going after the other is normal with territorial fish like that at first, especially if they have been in the tank longer. i would say in the future when thinking of fish add your most docile fish first to establish their territory then the more aggressive

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard you can put a mirror to the glass for a few days and it'll help with aggression in some fish but honestly they're both aggressive species and pretty hardy. some nipping and going after the other is normal with territorial fish like that at first, especially if they have been in the tank longer. i would say in the future when thinking of fish add your most docile fish first to establish their territory then the more aggressive

I suspect that the fish in my system can see their reflection in the glass. For the first few days to two weeks (depending on the fish) fish tend to do laps and act aggressively along the glass. Once they get it through their fish brains that they can’t attack the fish they see in the glass, they follow a pretty normal behavior and start swimming in and amongst the rocks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back