New aquascape semi established aquarium

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently moved homes and moved tanks. Going from a 90 gallon to a custom diy 180.

i aqua scaped the best i could but feel it needs more. Considering ordering marco rocks and building out of shelf rock as i like the look and keeping some of my old rock with gsp and paly weed corals on it.

thoughts on the move and change and execution would be greatly appreciated . Have 2 tangs. Clown. Urchin. And cleaner shrimp

480BC755-DB4C-4039-AE1B-B3FB3E8DDC23.jpeg DA4CF8F3-06CB-4F2B-922C-AC46FEED908B.jpeg

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently moved homes and moved tanks. Going from a 90 gallon to a custom diy 180.

i aqua scaped the best i could but feel it needs more. Considering ordering marco rocks and building out of shelf rock as i like the look and keeping some of my old rock with gsp and paly weed corals on it.

thoughts on the move and change and execution would be greatly appreciated . Have 2 tangs. Clown. Urchin. And cleaner shrimp

480BC755-DB4C-4039-AE1B-B3FB3E8DDC23.jpeg DA4CF8F3-06CB-4F2B-922C-AC46FEED908B.jpeg
Have looked at real reef rock? They have shelf, branches, cups and boulders.

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have looked at real reef rock? They have shelf, branches, cups and boulders.
I hadnt looked at any brand in particular. Mostly wondering how to go about adding to the current couple of stacks. I was considering asking if the local store would take my huge rock with a bunch of palys on it for some clean rock.

Like I've seen a lot of mixed signals of "cure the rock" or just rinse it well in RODI then drop it in. I feel like my system has plenty of Bacteria to seed new rock.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I've seen a lot of mixed signals of "cure the rock" or just rinse it well in RODI then drop it in. I feel like my system has plenty of Bacteria to seed new rock.
Well yes, it does, but it's going to take months for dry rock to "mature". And make sure you really wash that marco rock if you decide to go that route! I didn't do that, and added 10lbs to my 65g...which then made my tank cloudy for three days.

What is in the top left corner of your tank? Is it a branch of some sort?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely add more LR

Call around to LFS and see if anyone carries dry Marco Rock

Whatever you use should be 100% calcium carbonate and not some random earth rock or river rock

I used all marco in my 180g and it doesn't take but 3mos for it to cure if stacked among your current LR. Prob helps I dose a crapload of phyto each night

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, it does, but it's going to take months for dry rock to "mature". And make sure you really wash that marco rock if you decide to go that route! I didn't do that, and added 10lbs to my 65g...which then made my tank cloudy for three days.

What is in the top left corner of your tank? Is it a branch of some sort?
Mangrove pods! I ordered 5 maybe 6 months ago, and 2 have sprouted, 1 died, 2 havent sprouted yet.

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped rocks in my tank 2 times already while it's running with sps. No losses, just keep the old rock in the sump or in a corner for a few weeks then take them out slowly.

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadnt looked at any brand in particular. Mostly wondering how to go about adding to the current couple of stacks. I was considering asking if the local store would take my huge rock with a bunch of palys on it for some clean rock.

Two things:
Remember your bacteria is mostly on surfaces and within rocks and media.

Palys can send you to the ER. Carefully get rid of the rocks they’ve grown on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back