New Avast Marine Auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW this was with the old micro pump, not sure if the new design with the sicce pump will be any different.

So, I had one incident where I didn't clean it. The food piled up in the tube and stunk to high heaven!
So, it is just the tube that needs to be cleaned? What if I didn't use the tube and just let the flakes/pellets fall into a ring so they eventually sink, which is what I'm doing now with a different brand feeder. Would that eliminate any clogging issues or can the drum itself get clogged up from moisture or whatever?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, it is just the tube that needs to be cleaned? What if I didn't use the tube and just let the flakes/pellets fall into a ring so they eventually sink, which is what I'm doing now with a different brand feeder. Would that eliminate any clogging issues or can the drum itself get clogged up from moisture or whatever?
that would work, 100%. You could put a non-pump feeding ring/tube under it so the flakes don't all float into your overflow.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Plank on my FW tank for years with no pump and it has never been cleaned :zipper-mouth-face:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the feeding tube work with larger pieces of freeze dried mysis/plankton? Is it able to rehydrate?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump,

Starting to feed only freeze dried mysis, the mysis leave the tube before they had a chance to rehydrate and they float back up.

Using the new sicce pump on full power, pump is only a few inches underwater making the water in the tube quite low.

Do I raise the sump level to put more water in tube or slow pump down?

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump,

Starting to feed only freeze dried mysis, the mysis leave the tube before they had a chance to rehydrate and they float back up.

Using the new sicce pump on full power, pump is only a few inches underwater making the water in the tube quite low.

Do I raise the sump level to put more water in tube or slow pump down?
I think either approach (or a combination) will work. Aim for the tube being about 4” below the water level. You can also push the disk holding the pump a little bit lower in the tube or raise the sump level a bit. Closing off the grey flow restrictor also helps.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my Plank up for a while now and am overall quite satisfied with it.

The only thing that still annoys me about it is how it works with a mesh top lid. Right now I have the tube screwed in through the mesh, which works just fine, but it's a pain whenever I need to take the lid off - since it's connected through the mesh, I have to disconnect pump, remove the drum from the platform, and then brace the platform with the tube hanging down as I lift the lid off, with the tube dripping all over the floor as I take it to wherever I'm going to rest it while I work on the tank.

Which got me thinking... one possible solution would be a magnetic clip mount for the feeding tube. Like what IM uses for their Gourmet Defroster:

1653002322024.png

Having a magnetic mount for the feeding tube would completely eliminate the need to screw the tube to the platform, and would make it much easier for those of us with mesh lids to mount the unit and service it when necessary.

Is that something that could be developed?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing that still annoys me about it is how it works with a mesh top lid. Right now I have the tube screwed in through the mesh, which works just fine, but it's a pain whenever I need to take the lid off - since it's connected through the mesh, I have to disconnect pump, remove the drum from the platform, and then brace the platform with the tube hanging down as I lift the lid off, with the tube dripping all over the floor as I take it to wherever I'm going to rest it while I work on the tank.

Which got me thinking... one possible solution would be a magnetic clip mount for the feeding tube. Like what IM uses for their Gourmet Defroster:

1653002322024.png

Having a magnetic mount for the feeding tube would completely eliminate the need to screw the tube to the platform, and would make it much easier for those of us with mesh lids to mount the unit and service it when necessary.

do you have a sump?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video of my plank on 60 sec timer with BRS freeze dried mysis and a couple different pellets. This thing has made having Anthias pretty easy (also getting from great source @Marine Collectors helps a ton too). The Borbonius has learned by watching the Bimac's, has eased him off strictly frozen.

P

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1653002322024.png

Sorry, not sure how I managed to miss this post! Anyhow, have you looked into using a screen corner cutout kit? There is a picture of one using the new style square platform about 2/3 of the way down on the Plank support page:

Also, the new Sicce pump upgrade has the pump cord going up through the mixing tube, so that makes it easier to use a screen top. Please feel free to reach out to us through [email protected] and send some pictures; I'm sure we can help you figure out an easier solution than what you're having to do now.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this new sicce pump upgrade? My pump seems to be fine, but just curious to see if there's something I should watch out for?

I have the Plank - v3.3 -- does this already come with the sicce pump upgrade? I ordered in April 2021.

--

Also, are people installing this in the return chamber of the sump? My biggest gripe with auto feeders in general, is how massive they are on top of a beautiful rimless tank. It's pretty unsightly relative to everything else, so I'm considering mounting it in the sump. I have the opportunity to custom design a new sump, so I was thinking of including this into the thought.

Do I need some kind of powerhead in the return chamber to keep things from settling if I did it this way? Or should I just be expected to clean out the return chamber once in awhile and hope enough food makes it through the return pump?

Last edited:

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this new sicce pump upgrade? My pump seems to be fine, but just curious to see if there's something I should watch out for?

I have the Plank - v3.3 -- does this already come with the sicce pump upgrade? I ordered in April 2021.

--

Also, are people installing this in the return chamber of the sump? My biggest gripe with auto feeders in general, is how massive they are on top of a beautiful rimless tank. It's pretty unsightly relative to everything else, so I'm considering mounting it in the sump. I have the opportunity to custom design a new sump, so I was thinking of including this into the thought.

Do I need some kind of powerhead in the return chamber to keep things from settling if I did it this way? Or should I just be expected to clean out the return chamber once in awhile and hope enough food makes it through the return pump?
The Sicce nano is a nice Italian-made pump that's quieter and more reliable than the little DC pumps we were using. We initially chose the DC pump since it fit easily in the tube, but we've since figured out how to get the Sicce to fit (had to customize the volute). It's been an excellent upgrade so far, with ZERO failures since they started shipping a few months ago. That's a dream come true from a customer service perspective!

I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade at some point, but as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! These started shipping around April 2022, so yours has the older DC pump if you got it in 2021.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many do choose to install here. The biggest thing to consider is water movement in the chamber where the food is added. The mixing pump will hydrate it and get it neutrally buoyant, but you'll want to check that it can't settle anywhere in the return chamber. That all depends on the size and shape of the chamber and the flow rate.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many do choose to install here. The biggest thing to consider is water movement in the chamber where the food is added. The mixing pump will hydrate it and get it neutrally buoyant, but you'll want to check that it can't settle anywhere in the return chamber. That all depends on the size and shape of the chamber and the flow rate.

Thanks! I will probably go this route. I have a few spare AI Nero 3 pumps, maybe I'll stick one in the return chamber and crank it up. NOTHING will collect with that much flow in a small area.

Thank you!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce nano is a nice Italian-made pump that's quieter and more reliable than the little DC pumps we were using. We initially chose the DC pump since it fit easily in the tube, but we've since figured out how to get the Sicce to fit (had to customize the volute). It's been an excellent upgrade so far, with ZERO failures since they started shipping a few months ago. That's a dream come true from a customer service perspective!

I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade at some point, but as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! These started shipping around April 2022, so yours has the older DC pump if you got it in 2021.

That's good to know... but I love tinkering, so I'm just going to get it =)

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is thinking of getting a new Plank before vacation but undecided due to the cost, I just put a few of these up:

We seem to get a few of these every month, despite our best efforts not to :)

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In case anyone is thinking of getting a new Plank before vacation but undecided due to the cost, I just put a few of these up:

We seem to get a few of these every month, despite our best efforts not to :)
Do they have the new pump on them?

Back