New breakout box setup. Help!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I installed my breakout box and it 5 of my 6 devices plugged in.

How do I now configure each one? I didn't see a tasj fr bonb and wasn't sure how to go forward. I have 2 switches and 3 floats etc.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm after is of the 6th port float gets pushed up (closed?) To alert me and potentially kill my skimmer so it doesn't freak out. As well as ato outlet off

Port 5 ato low when the float drops to bottom (open? ) To alert possibly try to turn the ato outlet back on if off.
Port 4 is ato resivoir so if float is down (open?) To alert me so I can fill it.

Port 3 will,be for skimmer cup ( on hold until I get more line and mount that float) but when it's pushed up ( closed?) Alert me and turn of skimmer

Port 2 call a feed mode I will assign or maintenance.

Port 1 is momentary switch. Call feed mode A

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20201229-161009.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@southerntnreefer — yes. You need to make a virtual outlet for each channel in the breakout box. I think the device is labeled “cntl_X” where X is the channel number on the breakout box.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing you should do is to rename each switch port so the names are more meaningful, making the programming and troubleshooting easier in the long run. Go into your System View and click the Switch Inputs node to expand it. Then click the gear icon on each switch port to get to the screen where you can rename it. Inputs are limited to 6 characters, so you'll need to be creative with abbreviations.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.08.14 PM.png

Next, add a line of code to any output you want to control. For example, I used my "SkmFul" switch to turn off my skimmer when it's full:

[Skimmer]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If SkmFul CLOSED Then OFF
If Output ReturnPump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

I also send an alarm notification:

[EmailAlm]
Set OFF
If SkmFul CLOSED Then ON

You cannot trigger a Feed mode through programming. You can only activate Feed by clicking one of the Feed A, B, C, D buttons on the dashboard. However, you can simulate a Feed cycle using a virtual output as explained in my Apex Feed Cycles tutorial here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-7-feed-cycles.715/

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing you should do is to rename each switch port so the names are more meaningful, making the programming and troubleshooting easier in the long run. Go into your System View and click the Switch Inputs node to expand it. Then click the gear icon on each switch port to get to the screen where you can rename it. Inputs are limited to 6 characters, so you'll need to be creative with abbreviations.

Next, add a line of code to any output you want to control. For example, I used my "SkmFul" switch to turn off my skimmer when it's full:

[Skimmer]
Fallback OFF
Set ON

[EmailAlm]
Set OFF
If SkmFul CLOSED Then ON

You cannot trigger a Feed mode through programming. You can only activate Feed by clicking one of the Feed A, B, C, D buttons on the dashboard. However, you can simulate a Feed cycle using a virtual output as explained in my Apex Feed Cycles tutorial here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-7-feed-cycles.715/
Here is what I setup
Screenshot_20201229-164056.png

My assumption is up is closed on a switch and own is open correct? The alert do I ad to the alert outlet?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I setup
Screenshot_20201229-164056.png

My assumption is up is closed on a switch and own is open correct? The alert do I ad to the alert outlet?
Different brands and types of switches vary. I use float switches that report Closed when under water, and Open when dry. You’ll need to test your switches to see how they report.

If it’s a button, they typically report Closed when pressed.

For alarm notifications, see my Apex Alarm tutorial:

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different brands and types of switches vary. I use float switches that report Closed when under water, and Open when dry. You’ll need to test your switches to see how they report.

If it’s a button, they typically report Closed when pressed.

For alarm notifications, see my Apex Alarm tutorial:
I'll push it and see what happens! I'll be reading those 2 tutorials tonight. Thanks as always!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[Skimmer]
Fallback OFF
Set ON

[EmailAlm]
Set OFF
If SkmFul CLOSED Then ON

Looking at the tutorial for vfeed i don't see it outlined how to accomplish the switch. I created a virtual outlet called YUM_YUM_BTN..

How do I add code to it to kill my skimmer and powerheads we. The momentary switch is pressed?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back