New Breakout Box Wiring for Gyres

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I finally hooked up the new style breakout box to control my gyres. I thought the way the terminals in the new breakout box were labeled is a bit confusing so hopefully someone will find this useful. The old break out boxes clearly showed the 1-10V positive and negative connections but the new ones are more ambiguous.

1565011965417.png

For the 1-10V control with the yellow L-Port you can control 2 pumps. Since these new breakout boxes can support 2 connections (fantastic!!!!) I was able to wire all 4 pumps using one box.

If you were wondering, this is how to do it.

Pump 1
Red (+) to terminal 2
Black (-) to terminal 4
Pump 2
Red (+) to terminal 5
Black (-) to terminal 6

Pumps 3 and 4 are repeated on the adjacent terminal connectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you repeated it on the s port side?
There isn't an "s port side" per say. Both internal connectors are identical and can be used for either the L port or S port. You can do 2 L ports, 2 S ports or one of each.

So yes, you repeat it on the 2nd connector.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What cable did you use? How did you connect the Gyers to the breakout box?
The Icecap XF250 controller comes with a cable designed for an Apex. I cut the RJ45 connector off the end giving me two cables. I stripped each cable back revealing the red and white wires. Each Icecap comes with one of these cables so I only needed 2 of the 4.
The Profilux breakout box comes with 2 cables to connect it to the controller.
1565031636393.png

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the - not be connected to GND. At least that's how I have used the old LBF AP
That was my first thought, also, but it worked the way I have it wired. I can't say it wouldn't also work that way (they may be shorted inside the Profilux).

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually justr got the same cable for my reef octopus Varios 2. Not sure where to put the wires for the Varios 2 Manifold pump. im confused as heck
It should be exactly like I did with my gyre pumps except you will only need one cable. That is if you have the break out box, anyway.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the breakout box.. so for the one vario. so red wire on terminal 2 and black terminal 4. and then it should be ran?
Yes. You will cut the RJ45 connector off and use one of the 2 cable pieces connected red to 2 and black to 4. Then use one of the cables that came with the break out box to connect the appropriate port on the break out box to the yellow port on the Profilux.

You will then have to assign 1-10V interface #1 to whatever program you want to use to control the pump. I actually use illumination channels to control my gyres but you have lots of options.

As an example, two of my gyres use Illumination channel 18 for control.
1565276062884.png

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You will cut the RJ45 connector off and use one of the 2 cable pieces connected red to 2 and black to 4. Then use one of the cables that came with the break out box to connect the appropriate port on the break out box to the yellow port on the Profilux.

You will then have to assign 1-10V interface #1 to whatever program you want to use to control the pump. I actually use illumination channels to control my gyres but you have lots of options.

As an example, two of my gyres use Illumination channel 18 for control.
1565276062884.png
Ok thanks. I bought it thinking I was needing to control it. But realistically it's just running my uv and reactors. Which will be on basically all the time so I may not even hook it up

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I bought it thinking I was needing to control it. But realistically it's just running my uv and reactors. Which will be on basically all the time so I may not even hook it up
Yup, control probably isn't needed unless you want it to shut down for a maintenance mode, but even that is probably easier to be done by assigning it to an outlet.

But, if you do decide to try controls and want help, just let me know.

Jan86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I finally hooked up the new style breakout box to control my gyres. I thought the way the terminals in the new breakout box were labeled is a bit confusing so hopefully someone will find this useful. The old break out boxes clearly showed the 1-10V positive and negative connections but the new ones are more ambiguous.

1565011965417.png

For the 1-10V control with the yellow L-Port you can control 2 pumps. Since these new breakout boxes can support 2 connections (fantastic!!!!) I was able to wire all 4 pumps using one box.

If you were wondering, this is how to do it.

Pump 1
Red (+) to terminal 2
Black (-) to terminal 4
Pump 2
Red (+) to terminal 5
Black (-) to terminal 6

Pumps 3 and 4 are repeated on the adjacent terminal connectors.
Im trying to connect my XF350 gyrepumps here. So what to do with this third wire that comes from the pump?

And Do i connect the powersupply in terminals 1 and 3?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back