New Build / 380 Gallons Combined

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the lights fired up. The tank was up to 83 degrees today. Hmmmm I pray I dont have to get a chiller. And no Im not ready for LED's on my tank yet so if it doesnt cool down I will have to see what happens.
With the Temps outside close to 100 degrees still your sump room is adding to the heat issue being in the HOT garage with no direct air conditioning vent in that room. That will be a key factor in the summer from heat and a problem in winter with cold if you do not get a ac vent in the sump room, I know this from experiance with my own fish room and without a vent your going to have issues with the heat/cold
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhett, I agree with Bill. having the sump in my garage it inherently adds heat to the system. only when it cools below 70 in the garage do I see it dropping the overall tank temp overnight.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always add an algae scrubber and point a fan on it. you dont have to light it up to actually make a scrubber .. or something basically build something that flows a thin sheet of water over it with a fan pointed at it and you should get a lot of cool down.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gmoney.. just like the old style evaporative coolers they used in homes. My grandparents had a large tower in their yard that was an evaporative cooler for their HVAC systems.

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the kind words guys. Hmmmm I unplugged all the heaters yesterday to see what would happen and let it run just to see what it would be at temp wise. I came in from work today and saw the tank was at 72 degrees. I have put two of the heaters back in and cut all the halides back on. I will monitor it tonight and see what the temp gets too. I plugged them in at about 2:30 this afternoon so the temp is still pretty hot out. I will be adding a vent to the room very soon just havent had my HVAC guy come by yet. It will work out just trying to take it slow and let it all come together. I want this system up for a long time and let it mature out. If anyone ever wants to throw adivce in on anything have at it.

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me G this has been alot more work than what most people are willing to put in to it.

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in about 600 gallons worth of bacteria yesterday 400 of that being Dr.Tims Aquatics. That is a great company and always have good products. I put in a few corals and some fish today. Only been in there for about an hour now but everything seems to be doing good. Bill just so you know I decided to put the two black clowns I got from you in my display they are awesome fish and have already shacked up in the Dual RBTA Hotel. LOL I will post a pic soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two fans to the canopy. There were the clamp on fans you can buy. One was red and the other a bright green. Hmmmmmmm Well some black Valspar spray paint later and they look good. Will post a pic soon. Tank seems to be stable at 78 degrees now and rocking along. All livestock is doing great so far.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back