New Build Coming 2020

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to all my fellow reefers out there in the world!!! after a long hiatus from the hobby I have decided to make a comeback now that we have settled in good ole Alabama!!!

I am planning a 300+ gallon in-wall build in our new home and wanted see what you guys had to say about a couple of options I am considering for a tank.

The initial idea was to get a tank 72x36x24 and place it in my dinning room but as I thought more and more about it I would really hate to try and keep everything under the tank as I am big supporter of running large filtration. I also considered that since my dinning room wall was on the opposite side of my garage I could build out a closet type room for all the equipment and place it out there but then I realized that all my electrical and breaker box is also on that side as well so that was out.

The second idea and finally the one that seems to be sticking is that in my breakfast area off of my kitchen is a walk-in type room (say 10' by 10') or so with a barn door style door on it. This wall is long enough but I need to take the door off and close the wall and then move the door to the laundry room which is located on the other side of one of the walls in the walk-in type room. The plan would then be to make the cut-out for a tank 96x36x24 in that wall so the tank is view-able from my breakfast area, kitchen, and living room. I have to do some research on reinforcing the top portion of the wall which is likely load bearing and supports part of a bedroom above on the second floor.

If I stick with the idea of placing the tank in this wall it will give me options to plumb up a QT system, rodi, a mixing station and run a rather large filtration setup as well.

Now.....for the tank questions.
I looked into TankmeUSA which I think makes one heck of nice tank and I really like the idea of there hybrid zero overflow but the cost is a little and he has a waiting list of almost 8 months I believe from when I spoke to him but I still might go that route.

Secondly I looked into Glass Cages as well given that they are only about an hour and 45 minutes from my house I could drive up there and check on the quality of things and make sure it is built to my liking before taking it home however the options for external overflows are little limited unlike the hybrid zero from TankmeUSA. I also considered going with Glass Cages and drilling my own overflows for dual Modular Marine overflows but wondered about weakening the glass or if I could even do it safely on a tank that size. if it is doable that means I could order their standard 96x37.5x25 tank at a significantly less price.

Thirdly, I was also considering going with a TruVu 300 gallon 96x30x24 in Acrylic but I am a little concerned with going acrylic because I like to have a sand bed in my tanks.

Let me hear your thoughts and ideas and let me see some acrylic tanks that have been running for awhile as well as some glass cages and tankmeusa tanks too!!! good to be coming back guys.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, im back to drawing board on figuring out how to place the tank, i forgot that the breakfast area actually sticks out farther than the room im going to use so therefore i cannot place a 96" in there but maybe a 72" tank. That said, i still want a 96" tank so I'm gonna figure this out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically it will fit on a stand in front of the room but not in the wall. Theres some pics with an outline on the floor. I'll try and get better pics tomorrow

20191017_181016.jpg 20191017_181047.jpg

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after looking at the room, I believe the wall is a load bearing wall. With this in mind I think its the better idea to remove the entire wall and place an LVL Beam (GluLam) in place and install the tank on a steel stand then build it into the wall with a faux build if that makes sense???

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think you could even touch a load-bearing wall. I'd be scared to do it lol.
nah man, you can do it. Just need to make sure you place what is called an LVL Beam (GluLam) beam in place. basically a load bearing beam which in my opinion are pretty inexpensive (200 or 300 bucks). pretty straight forward if you google a couple videos they show how to install them but I would probably have someone do it so I am not second guessing anything.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got the tank picked out and its not what I would typically do or order but so far it fits in all catagories of what I need.

American Aquariums 96*36*25 (roughly 374.5)

I know its acrylic but its affordable and the craftsmanship is phenomenal.

Now for the wall.... the wall is going to stay like it is with the exception of the barn door, the door is coming off and a new door is being put in on ak opposite wall from the laundry room. The tanknis going to sit on this wall and be faux built in with shelving on either side. There is roughly 25" of space on either side of the tank once set.

I decided to go this route so if we ever sell I can pull the tank and equipment out, put the barn door back up and do minimal patch work and be done.

Headed to Home Depot to price an interior door and a few other items.

20191021_180445.jpg 20191026_135833.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back