New build idea, need inputs please!

ReeferDave79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have future plans to set up a 200g plus tank in wall. I know how in going to build it into the wall, but I’m starting this thread to see if my idea for the aquascape is worth persueing, or am I making a fundamental mistake.

I plan to start with a deep sand bed as outlined by New York Steelo. Then I want to build a structure using Marco rock with legs that will rest on the bottom of the tank. This will ensure a stable rockscape even when fish dig underneath it. At this point I am conflicted about where I want the base of the rock to start. Should I make it look like the base is resting on the sand bed, or maybe elevated 3”-4” above it, making a pedestal type build?

If I did decide to keep the base elevated above the sand bed, would the areas underneath the rock just be “dead spots” or are there livestock choices that actually prefer to live under there?

This is all still brainstorming mode, but 2 heads are better than one, and an entire forum is even better than that! Please let me know and benefits / drawbacks this vision presents, and maybe some ideas on how I could improve it.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really up to you! Elevating the rock work off the sand bed won't necessarily result in dead spots--and may even help avoid them, as the water can then pass completely around and under the rock work (provided you have generous, random flow). The only downside I could see if trying to catch fish out of the tank--they will go under the rock and you won't be able to net them--but there are other ways of catching fish ... I've had success with all kinds of traps.

OP
OP
ReeferDave79

ReeferDave79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really up to you! Elevating the rock work off the sand bed won't necessarily result in dead spots--and may even help avoid them, as the water can then pass completely around and under the rock work (provided you have generous, random flow). The only downside I could see if trying to catch fish out of the tank--they will go under the rock and you won't be able to net them--but there are other ways of catching fish ... I've had success with all kinds of traps.
Thank you for your reply. I was worried my idea would have some fundamental flaw that was doomed to fail. As long as that’s not the case, I can’t wait to move forward with my build.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back