New Build - Prepping for IM Nuvo 100 EXT

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins, again... Have had many tanks over the years, took a brief hiatus over the last 7 years do to moving across country. I started a 45 gallon cube last November which is doing well, but all it managed to do is give me the itch again for more. I have had SPS systems as large as 150g and after looking back I think this new Waterbox is ideal for me at this point in life. Love the 125g water volume of the system and dimensions of the tank. This will be a transfer from the 45 cube but a much different system. I have began the rock work for this new Waterbox. Once the aquascape is completed (pics to come) I will "cook" the rock for a minimum of 90 days, adding as much biodiversity as possible. This will be another Aquaforest system and I will place some of my current rock and bio material in the sump, along with additional AF Bio Fill. Looking forward to this new reefing adventure. Hope you enjoy my progress along the way.

OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins, again... Have had many tanks over the years, took a brief hiatus over the last 7 years do to moving across country. I started a 45 gallon cube last November which is doing well, but all it managed to do is give me the itch again for more. I have had SPS systems as large as 150g and after looking back I think this new Waterbox is ideal for me at this point in life. Love the 125g water volume of the system and dimensions of the tank. This will be a transfer from the 45 cube but a much different system. I have began the rock work for this new Waterbox. Once the aquascape is completed (pics to come) I will "cook" the rock for a minimum of 90 days, adding as much biodiversity as possible. This will be another Aquaforest system and I will place some of my current rock and bio material in the sump, along with additional AF Bio Fill. Looking forward to this new reefing adventure. Hope you enjoy my progress along the way.
Finally finished the rock work for the new 125.4. I've done so many tanks since I was in my teens and it's amazing how you "change" your opinions on everything as you learn over the years. I remember my first tanks which amounted to nothing more than piling rock up against the back glass. This system will be SPS, so I wanted to make sure that two things were the priority with the scape: 1) No towering structures that would create shadows and block light to the corals. 2) No huge chunks of rock sitting on the sand diverting flow. This is a shallow reef (125.4 is 16" high) and this system will be lit by three Radion G6 Blue's. The max height of the scape is 9" and all areas of the rock work should get even lighting. I know it's hard to tell by the pic, but there is a very small footprint on each structure, water will flow through and under the rock making it easy for a gyre flow to circulate the entire tank. This style of foot print should eliminate any "toilet boxes" from developing due to low flow. Well now is the boring part. I will begin to "dark cook" the rock for the next 90-120 days adding as much bio diversity as I can over that time period. By August the actual build will begin.
Scape.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well time for a major edit... Planned on this build being a Waterbox 125.4, however they seem to have an issue getting these new Infinia line tanks in stock. A month go their site said "4 to 6 weeks". Contacted them on Friday and they are still saying 4 to 6 weeks before they have it in stock. ???? OK, change in plans. Summer sales have begun. Innovative Marine is offering their complete system for the 100 EXT for almost $500 off. The tank is almost the same dimensions, just 3 inches more depth, and more water volume. So I'm pulling the trigger today on the IM 100EXT, should be here by mid June. YEAH!

OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day has arrived! My IM Nuvo 100 EXT system was just delivered. All looks in great shape. Will start with the stand tomorrow and begin to customize the interior while I wait for my rock to finish curing. Life in the reefing world is good!
IMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0413.jpeg

OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! We have a 75 INT coming this week. Sort of regret not getting the EXT but my wife wanted it flush against the wall, fair enough I suppose!
Following! We have a 75 INT coming this week. Sort of regret not getting the EXT but my wife wanted it flush against the wall, fair enough I suppose!
Congrats and good luck with it! They package everything extremely well. Stand goes together easily and is rock solid. When you look at the tank it's obvious it's a quality product.

OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we are getting close... At the end of the month the AF rock will have been curing in bacteria for 2 months now. Things are looking good. Waiting for the last shipments of equipment to arrive this week and we should be all set. Really looking forward to the new system. I have a Juvenile Bristle Tooth Tang (size about 2") in the current 45 cube and can't wait to give her more room in the new tank. I thought about a fleece roller but decided against it because I carbon dose using the Aquaforest System. This has always kept my nutrient low (PO4 .02-.03. NO3 2-3ppm). Therefore I'll be using filter pads in the first chamber of filtration. I'll be running the following equipment and filtration on the 100EXT:
Filtration: RFS39 Sump
1st Chamber - Filter pads with AF BioFIll loaded into the cups (from current system plus additional).
2nd Chamber - Ultrareef Skimmer, Reactor with AF ZeoMix and Purit.
3rd Chamber - Turf Algae Scrubber, Rock rubble from my current system.
Return Chamber - Return Pump Mighty Key XL (came with the system), ATO / Auto Water Change System.
Lighting: Radion G6 Blue's
Control / Automation: Apex A3
Flow: AI Nero 7's and 5, Gyre XF 330 (vertical mount, circular flow). This should give me anywhere between 80 - 100 times turnover per hour if desired.
Dosing: Echotech Versa's

The fun is about to begin!

Last edited:
OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes… running everything through wire clips on back of the stand to a control board I built that will be mounted on the wall next to the tank. The board will be on hinges so I can open it to run wires in the back of the board. Should work out well. I don’t mind the big sump, I prefer it. Never liked running a bunch of wires to control’s inside a cabinet near water.

OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the aluminum stands… 5 doors is absolutely great. Get some self starting sheet metal screws and you can attach a quality surge protector/power strip right to one of the back posts. Tank is coming in the house Sunday. Once I have the plumbing in and rout the cables in back I’ll post pics. Congrats on your 100EXT. They are great systems, quality, pretty much overbuilt.

OP
OP
UtahReefer

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up the rest of the new equipment yesterday (Nero 7, Algae Scrubber, and Reactor). Every thing else will go in when I do the transfer. My AF sand has been rinsed an awaiting the Bac dosing 24hrs before the transfer. I'll be setting up the additional Radion's today and making water. Really happy with the switch to AF Reef Salt some time ago. 15 minutes of mixing and it's completely clear and real to go.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back