OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are moving along nicely! great corals to add, I’m tempted to get GSP if my local LFS has it in.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the GSP so far. I love the colors, and the "fuzzy" look it has. Of course, I might like it a bit less once it takes over. It doesn't seem to me like it would cause many issues with overgrowing softies, only with SPS and LPS. Given that my tank will only have a few of those, I'm not too worried about GSP world domination.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230304_224810189.MP.jpg
First off, love the new tank!
Second, what is the algae that looks like small lily pads on the left/top side rock? Love that

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, love the new tank!
Second, what is the algae that looks like small lily pads on the left/top side rock? Love that

Thanks! I believe that the algae is called Acetabularia. Since I took that picture, much of it has either died off or been eaten by the CUC. I only have three individual stems left now.

robdallimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anemone_Fanatic did you come up with a Refugium solution? I’ve been thinking about using the sock compartment as one, by removing the sock further from the overflow compartment and putting a light there. How are the fish, did they all settle in?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anemone_Fanatic did you come up with a Refugium solution? I’ve been thinking about using the sock compartment as one, by removing the sock further from the overflow compartment and putting a light there. How are the fish, did they all settle in?

@robdallimore I haven't yet figured out a solution. I'm currently deciding whether I'd rather keep the skimmer, or replace it with a refugium/algae scrubber. I have yet to actually plug the skimmer in and everything looks fine, so I'm leaning towards changing it out. Unless you install a HOB refugium or plumb one in from a separate tank, I don't think there's a way to have both. All the fish are doing great, thanks for asking. Planning on adding a trio of damselfish in a few weeks to keep them company and add some blue.

Nick1423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever come up with a solution? I’m hoping I don’t need to upgrade sump before I build..

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever come up with a solution? I’m hoping I don’t need to upgrade sump before I build..

Welcome to the ProStar 90 club! Unfortunately, I think that the best thing to do is to replace the skimmer with a refugium. I haven't done this yet (nor am I sure that I will) but it should give you a refugium chamber of around 3-4 gallons, which is enough for a tank this big, if a little on the small side. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaannnd Update Time!

1683985717594.png

Not much has been going on recently. I've been busy with other things, so the tank has been on "cruise control". I've seen some coral growth (a few mushrooms have split, and the GSP has grown maybe 1/3" in every direction) and the fish are doing well. The bubble algae hasn't spread that much, but I'm still wary of a potential takeover. The coralline growth is out of control. Most of it is the dark red stuff, so I'm not complaining. I've also seen pistol shrimp quite frequently. One of them has gotten big enough that it'd fit in quite well at a crawfish boil.

Nice feather duster worm, these guys are all over. Makes me want to try a full-sized one. Not sure if it'd be as happy eating leftovers though, and I really don't have the time/patience to do frequent spot-feeding.
1683986607674.png

In the next few weeks, I'm thinking that I'll add some more stuff. I'm thinking about trying a small school of 4-5 chromis, but I'm worried about them picking each other off. Instead, I'm probably going to try to do a similar thing with a mix of springeri, azure, and Rolland's damsels. I don't believe they'll school, but they'd give some activity to the tank. I went snorkeling in the Caribbean recently, and I saw a big stand of gorgonians in shallow water, interspersed with brain corals and sponges. It looked pretty neat, so I'll be adding a few of those in. Probably a BTA as well. The clownfish are trying to host the GSP, but it keeps retracting whenever they get close to it. Poor things want their anemone, and with the tank almost 5.5 months old, I think that it'd work.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in an order for a few corals and anemones from CoralsAnonymous.

- 1x Green BTA
- 1x Green Kenya Tree Colony
- 1x Purple Gorgonian
- 5x Ultra RFAs

Excited to start my anemone collection back up. Everything should get here on the 12th. Will update when the order arrives!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #23: Small equipment update, a few critters/algae, and my aquarium philosophy

Got the ol' Mp10 from my last tank working again! I'm honestly really surprised that it even started. It's been in a cardboard box for over a year at this point, but it works just like the day I got it. Got to get my flow back up for when my coral shipment comes on Wednesday. That gyre broke down a while ago, worked well for about 2 1/2 months. I recommend it to Jeff Bezos, maybe he'll be able to buy 5 new ones every year.

1688852241013.png

Some people brag about their thriving stands of acropora. I brag about my thriving stand of this stuff. No idea what it is, but it hasn't spread any in the last few months, so I'm not complaining. I'm going to put a red mini maxi in the middle of it some day, I think it'd look good.

1688852481567.png

I'm entering in the competition for the best bubble algae. I figure it won't overgrow the softies I have planned for this tank, so I'm going to live with it. At least that's my excuse for being too lazy to do anything about it. Right below it is the only surviving patch of Dictyota in the entire tank. I used to have a plague of it, but there's almost none left. My tank has stabilized at a population of two female emerald crabs, both of which have been eating it. Twice now I've added several males and females to this group, but every time, it whittles down to these two females. The bubble algae is too big for them.

1688852686025.png

Conch in the rhodactis field. Keep the algae at bay, little dude. I had a split recently, the elongated one in the middle of the rock broke away from the smaller polyp to the left and up a bit. I expect it to make another division soon.

1688853178379.png

This is the biggest feather duster in the tank. I'm planning to put my incoming RFA garden where he is, what's good for one invertebrate is probably good for another.

1688853793174.png

Controversial opinion these days, but the goal of a reef tank is to replicate the ocean as closely as possible. It isn't about collecting the latest rainbow acro, it isn't about keeping a tank pristine and free of hitchhikers, it isn't about having the fanciest equipment. On the wild reef, a rainbow acro is a tempting target for any hungry corallivores, and fancy equipment isn't anywhere to be found. If you threw it in, it'd just be another place for coralline to grow and fish to make their homes. What we call pests and hitchhikers are as prevalent on the reef as the things we are trying to grow. Go to any wild reef, and swim close to the rock, looking not just at the fish and corals. You'll find those things too, of course, but you'll also find bubble algae. You'll find aiptasia, you'll find vermitids, and you'll find gorilla crabs. Of course, there are things on the reef managing and controlling those that we call pests, preventing plagues. But, nothing is trying to eradicate them. Nothing is pumping them full of chemicals, harming microscopic life as they go. In order to maintain our tiny oceans, we should try to keep a balance with these things. Introduce predators, or take the role of the controller, and manage hitchhikers yourself. I try to do this myself. There are only two hitchhikers I wouldn't manage in this way, those being octopi and bobbit worms. Octopi are too intelligent to ignore or remove, if I ended up with one, I'd try to set up a tank for it, or even convert my system into a habitat designed for one. Bobbit worms are predators too large for my system. They'd break the balance, and eradicate every other macroscopic animal. If I find one, I'll freeze it and feed it back to my fish. Other than that, most things are welcome, as long as they don't take over or pose a risk to me/my fish. I can't claim to be all-knowing when it comes to reef keeping. Other forms of maintaining a system are valid, even if they stray from nature. For me, trying to replicate the ocean and the balance within it is the ultimate goal. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #23: Small equipment update, a few critters/algae, and my aquarium philosophy

Got the ol' Mp10 from my last tank working again! I'm honestly really surprised that it even started. It's been in a cardboard box for over a year at this point, but it works just like the day I got it. Got to get my flow back up for when my coral shipment comes on Wednesday. That gyre broke down a while ago, worked well for about 2 1/2 months. I recommend it to Jeff Bezos, maybe he'll be able to buy 5 new ones every year.

1688852241013.png

Some people brag about their thriving stands of acropora. I brag about my thriving stand of this stuff. No idea what it is, but it hasn't spread any in the last few months, so I'm not complaining. I'm going to put a red mini maxi in the middle of it some day, I think it'd look good.

1688852481567.png

I'm entering in the competition for the best bubble algae. I figure it won't overgrow the softies I have planned for this tank, so I'm going to live with it. At least that's my excuse for being too lazy to do anything about it. Right below it is the only surviving patch of Dictyota in the entire tank. I used to have a plague of it, but there's almost none left. My tank has stabilized at a population of two female emerald crabs, both of which have been eating it. Twice now I've added several males and females to this group, but every time, it whittles down to these two females. The bubble algae is too big for them.

1688852686025.png

Conch in the rhodactis field. Keep the algae at bay, little dude. I had a split recently, the elongated one in the middle of the rock broke away from the smaller polyp to the left and up a bit. I expect it to make another division soon.

1688853178379.png

This is the biggest feather duster in the tank. I'm planning to put my incoming RFA garden where he is, what's good for one invertebrate is probably good for another.

1688853793174.png

Controversial opinion these days, but the goal of a reef tank is to replicate the ocean as closely as possible. It isn't about collecting the latest rainbow acro, it isn't about keeping a tank pristine and free of hitchhikers, it isn't about having the fanciest equipment. On the wild reef, a rainbow acro is a tempting target for any hungry corallivores, and fancy equipment isn't anywhere to be found. If you threw it in, it'd just be another place for coralline to grow and fish to make their homes. What we call pests and hitchhikers are as prevalent on the reef as the things we are trying to grow. Go to any wild reef, and swim close to the rock, looking not just at the fish and corals. You'll find those things too, of course, but you'll also find bubble algae. You'll find aiptasia, you'll find vermitids, and you'll find gorilla crabs. Of course, there are things on the reef managing and controlling those that we call pests, preventing plagues. But, nothing is trying to eradicate them. Nothing is pumping them full of chemicals, harming microscopic life as they go. In order to maintain our tiny oceans, we should try to keep a balance with these things. Introduce predators, or take the role of the controller, and manage hitchhikers yourself. I try to do this myself. There are only two hitchhikers I wouldn't manage in this way, those being octopi and bobbit worms. Octopi are too intelligent to ignore or remove, if I ended up with one, I'd try to set up a tank for it, or even convert my system into a habitat designed for one. Bobbit worms are predators too large for my system. They'd break the balance, and eradicate every other macroscopic animal. If I find one, I'll freeze it and feed it back to my fish. Other than that, most things are welcome, as long as they don't take over or pose a risk to me/my fish. I can't claim to be all-knowing when it comes to reef keeping. Other forms of maintaining a system are valid, even if they stray from nature. For me, trying to replicate the ocean and the balance within it is the ultimate goal. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
The algae you have is Neomeris sp. Usually goes away but in my case became a plague that caused me to break down my 16 year old tank. Finally found out what it was 10 years later. I could have dropped an urchin in!
9FE1A6D0-B3A8-4D32-9B85-2AA243D34BB1.jpeg

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae you have is Neomeris sp. Usually goes away but in my case became a plague that caused me to break down my 16 year old tank. Finally found out what it was 10 years later. I could have dropped an urchin in!
9FE1A6D0-B3A8-4D32-9B85-2AA243D34BB1.jpeg

I don't think it's Neomeris. It's a darker green, and it isn't calcareous. I had Neomeris as well at one point, and they looked different together. You can see a few strands of Neomeris mixed in with the current stuff in this older picture, they're much lighter green and they have white stems. Thanks for the suggestion though!

1688858038881.png

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I am there's a flood warning of potentially 8-9 feet, and the tank's in the basement. I'm not expecting a disaster, but will update in a day or so. Hopefully it isn't that bad (the 8-9ft warning is below a dam which I'm upstream of) but I'll be keeping an eye on things.

robdallimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I am there's a flood warning of potentially 8-9 feet, and the tank's in the basement. I'm not expecting a disaster, but will update in a day or so. Hopefully it isn't that bad (the 8-9ft warning is below a dam which I'm upstream of) but I'll be keeping an eye on things.
Best of luck, hope you avoid any flooding!

Back