New Build Red Sea Reefer Nano 21

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 11, 2017 today I am getting back into reefing after 10 years, I decided on the Reefer 21 because I do not have the room for the larger 45 gallon Reefer 170 (at least anywhere where I could enjoy seeing it). Additionally this is no small investment if done correctly so the smaller tank allows me to spend more on better equipment.

While I considered the Red Sea Max all-in-one I really wanted a sump system so after looking at both at a LFS I made my decision and ordered the system.

I will begin posting some images as the build progresses and an explanation what specific equipment I am installing and my reasoning behind my decisions.

So far I have seen very little on the net regarding the Red Sea Reefer Nano 21, hopefully what I am doing here will assist others in their decision regarding this system.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome home to this amazing forum. It looks like you are in the right track can't wait to see progress pics

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished assembling the stand, just follow the directions and you cannot go wrong. Excellent engineering on the stand, well designed and as I said easy to assemble. It took me and hour this morning.

I will post some images once I get the tank and sump unpacked and on the stand.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised here are the first images.

I took some advise and created a cardboard box tank in order to have a better idea about how I wanted the rock work to look. There is 15 lbs in the images.

I selected the Bulk Reef Supply Reef Saver Aquarium Dry Live Rock for a number of reasons but mostly because I did not want Live Rock for this build. My last Reef tank was Live Rock and while the rock looked good and the system cycled quickly there were numerous unwanted hitchhikers which disturbed me. While it will take me longer to cycle the tank I plan on being extra careful with unwanted pests this time around.

Next installing the sump and the tank, fortunately Red Sea has done an equally good job with the tank instructions as they did with the stand.

More images to follow later today.

Red Sea Nano 28 - 1 - 7-12-17.jpg

Red Sea Nano 28 - 2 - 7-12-17.jpg

Red Sea Nano 28 - 3 - 7-12-17.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see another REEFER Nano going up. I love mine :)

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, there is water in the tank now, I purchased the 50gpd AquaticLife RO Buddie 4 Stage RO/DI system on Amazon for $69.99 from Amazon and it is working as expected, a gallon of 0 TDS water takes 25 minutes and while filling the tank has taken some time with only 28 gallons in the system it fits my needs.

I am and have been purchasing most of the equipment from Amazon (but not all of it), mostly because of cost, delivery and especially returns. I purchased the wrong light fixture from Marine Depot and when I called to return it they were difficult to say the least. Additionally I called them for a price match with Amazon and they refused, seems like their price guarentee is pretty much worthless when they will not price match their biggest competor.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for a return pump. I chose the Aqueon QuietFlow AQ2300 which is listed for between 317 and 608gph because I would like a but higher flow than the recommended 500gph by Red Sea. Also I saved a bit because Petco was closing the pumps out at $41.99 and the on-line reviews are pretty good. We will see how it preformes and especially how quiet it is.

I went with the AI Prime HD for lighting as this light Red Sea includes in their all-in-one MAX series which is the same tank less the sump. I tried for several hours last night to commect with the light and while was able to see the lights wifi signal I kept hitting some sort of "Log On" requiring a device "password", I tried until 11:00pm to get it to work both on my PC and Android phone without success, and no there is nothing I could find on-line regarding a password.

At 0905am CDT I will be calling Aqua Illumination and see if they can help.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to Aqua Illumination tech support, one word "GREAT!". Issue solved and light working properly. Of course now I have to toy with it for a bit.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still setting things up, I am going to install the Aqua Medic ATO Refil System Pro now.

YesI know the Red Sea Reefer comes with an ATO but the design is a bit simplistic and without any safety features. After a great deal of research I settled on this ATO, so we will se how the install and operation proceeds.

Red Sea Nano 28 - 5- 7-13-17.jpg

Red Sea Nano 28 - 6- 7-13-17.jpg

Red Sea Nano 28 - 8- 7-13-17.jpg

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are u going to be having. If u are doing mainly sps I have a good program for sps with the prime hd that I’ll give u

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!!

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank both of you.

My plans are for mostly high end LPS and a couple of Rock Corals, I may include a few of the easier SPS Corals after 6 to 8 months of operation.

Please feel free to post your lighting program, I would like to see it.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is an IceCap 3K in there and yes I know it is a bit big. What it gives me for $124.99 is capabilities. right now I have it set at 20% on the ramp up setting, right near the rock island in the front the flow is carving out some sand, if this continues I will likely move that rock to the corner which should prevent further erosion.

I will post up-dates as this progresses.

Red Sea Nano 28 - 9- 7-13-17.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater installed. a 100w NEO-Therm. I chose this because of the reviews about its reliability, additionally I installed an Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w/ Sensor. For $35.00 from Amazon it is cheap insurance against a runaway heater.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, I love slow thought out builds! This way I wont have to post saracastically in 3 months, so how is all that coral and fish you packed in before your was cycle going?! No one ever replies!

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, I love slow thought out builds! This way I wont have to post saracastically in 3 months, so how is all that coral and fish you packed in before your was cycle going?! No one ever replies!
Thank you, I just started with the 21 day Red Sea Mature Kit before doing anything, followed up by weekly 5 gallon water changes.

The first add will be the clean-up crew sometime around August 4th depending on what the water testing shows. In the mean time I am still adding some equipment, Going to install the ATO this morning, then Monday my Skimmer should arrive (hopefully). Additionally I have a Phosphate Reactor and a GFO/Carbon Reactor which will be installed next week.

I will likely add a Dosing System sometime in late August again depending on how well (or poorly) the water quality and stability is followed up by a
Neptune Systems Apex Controller sometime in September, again depending on how the system is behaving.

Tha is at least the plan ;).

Back