New Build.

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have been out of the hobby for 12 years but recently I have had the itch to start again.

Over the next few months I will be posting my build, success and failures.

To start I picked up a 90 Gallon Reefready cube.

20191219_193437.jpg

OP
OP
Markk96

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do not like about the stand is the height of the cabinet. Due to some issues with my knee and the room under the stand I decided to plum the sump behind the tank. This will make easier access to the sump and skimmer.

20191228_210104.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Markk96

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have been out of the hobby since the mid 2000's things have changed with live rock. I decided to go with Marco Rock, so i ordered around 60# pound.
Resized_20191216_143833.jpeg

OP
OP
Markk96

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my Spectrapure 2000 RODI from the 2000's. I replaced the membranes, got new TDS meters, new auto shutoff valve. Added a Carbon stage and a DI stage.

I run
2 75 gpd membranes
1 sediment
2 carbons
Cation
Anion
Mix Bed

i added a booster pump, as I was only getting about 45 PSI, maybe because it is cold here.

I am getting 250 TDS in, 2 TDS out of the Membrane and 0 TDS out of the DI stage. I seem to be using Anion up the most.

20200109_133010.jpg

I store the water in 2 brute cans, but I am looking for something a little bit better.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a really good start! I have a similar sump with the ATO chamber. Have you picked up an ATO sensor and pump yet? For water storage there are multiple threads here on R2R about water mixing stations. Also if you haven’t thought about it, you may want to consider a IceCap filter media cup instead of a filter sock.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!!! ;Wideyed ;Wideyed ;Wideyed I’m drooling!

Carlos is definitely a great person to get advice from!!!

OP
OP
Markk96

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are off to a really good start! I have a similar sump with the ATO chamber. Have you picked up an ATO sensor and pump yet? For water storage there are multiple threads here on R2R about water mixing stations. Also if you haven’t thought about it, you may want to consider a IceCap filter media cup instead of a filter sock.

Yes I bought a IceCap ATO. I am not sure how to use it yet. I am using a Kilr filter for this, we will see how it works.

OP
OP
Markk96

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas on how to display/mount my controllers, and such. I am not sure if I want to do a wall mount, a side cabinet or under the tank attached to the door.

Thoughts? any good threads?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas on how to display/mount my controllers, and such. I am not sure if I want to do a wall mount, a side cabinet or under the tank attached to the door.

Thoughts? any good threads?

We haven't officially announced these yet, but we're about to release these controller cabinets:

Sounds like we may get them in black as well which would match your system.

@MarineDepot also has controller boards that are similar that you could mount to a wall or cabinet.

OP
OP
Markk96

Markk96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing the sump for the first time. I am surprised how quiet the pump is, and yes I did kick the "bucket" in this video. That is the crash sound you hear.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I bought a IceCap ATO. I am not sure how to use it yet. I am using a Kilr filter for this, we will see how it works.

The Klir is even better yet! I choose to go with the AutoAqua Smart ATO - the IceCap ATO should also work very well. You are in good hands with Carlos so he will help you get it all figured out if you get stuck while setting it up.

...and yes, all of your pumps are fantastic!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back