New Build

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, new to the reef community, but have had fish only tanks on and off most of my life. Was hoping for some advice and input about my first mixed reef build. I currently have a 48x18" stand which I was going to use for a rimmed reef-ready 90 gallon tank and build a la carte. I've done some price comparisons and some of the rimless packages are about 1/3 more, but look better IMO and may be a better base for someone new to this part of the hobby, like me. Any and all advice, feedback, experiences welcomed.

PS - my LFS advised me many of the tanks are on backorder because of the virus, but I am okay with that, as I would prefer to wait and get it right rather than have regrets.

Thanks,

Ed

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ed welcome! I agree with you I think rimless tanks look very nice and are the hot new tanks currently. But it all comes down to you and your preference and what you are willing to pay. Rimless or rimmed it’s still a tank but you want to be happy with it obviously.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! There are so many options and approaches to a reef tank build it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm a measure twice, cut once type, but I know there's not a formal roadmap to success in this part of the hobby.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! There are so many options and approaches to a reef tank build it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm a measure twice, cut once type, but I know there's not a formal roadmap to success in this part of the hobby.
Are you looking at more of a diy tank where you piece all the equipment together or more of a package deal?

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at more of a diy tank where you piece all the equipment together or more of a package deal?
We recently (July) started a 90g FOWLR tank. Our neighbor moved and was getting rid of a 110g tank that had been out of use for a few years, so I started to work on getting that ready for use. The more research I did the smaller the gap between making the tank we inherited reef-ready and buying new. I refinished the stand and cleaned the tank, but started to get nervous about drilling, etc.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha makes total sense the first tank I drilled I was nervous but after your first one you get the hang of it! Best of luck with everything! Hope it all goes well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back