New Camera Purchase Advice - Much Needed, Greatly Apperciated

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally going to invest a little money into getting a "nicer" camera.

Background:
The major use for this camera will be to take pics of my coral which is lit by AI Sols
I will be taking close up macro shots
I have only used DSLR at store. I have no experience with one but have nothing against taking the time to learn.

Dilemma:
Trying to decide between a bridge camera (Canon SX40) or actual DSLR. Any advice?
Also, if DSLR what is a good entry level model for my application?
What are some accessories that will enable me to take great photos like the ones I see on r2r (besides lots of practice)

Thanks everyone!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly you could get you an older model DSLR or even buy a refurbished one from a well known company and save money for the lens. That is where your expense will be if you want to take nice macro photos. I hate to point this out all the time but these shots were taken with a Canon Rebel XT (old) and a Canon 100mm Macro.

Rockin Reef | SmugMug

Of course if you have the means to get a better DSLR then do that as well.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been awhile since I had purchased my dslr so I am not very up to date with what entry level dslrs are out there. I would however definitly recommend that if you are going to invest in a better camera that I would go with a dslr, and skip doing a bridge camera. The dslr is going to give you more options than a bridge and will allow you to explore doing macro photography in a way in which you will be limited with a point and shoot camera. With a dslr you will be able to get lenses for the camera which will allow you to do the photography that you want to do. I would look into either a cannon or nikon dslr, I myself have always been a nikon user for dslr and also slr cameras. One of the thinkgs that I do like about my nikon dslr is that I am able to use my lenses from my slr cameras on it. Since my lenses are older they do not communicate with the camera for things like auto focusing or for the camera setting the shutter speed, but this can be overcome in setting the camera into manual mode. The nice thing is with digital images is that you get instant feedback so if you do not own a light meter by trail and error you can determine the settings that you need to use. As for accessories definitly you will want to use a tripod, this will help you in achieving sharp focus and lessen the chances of having camera shake. I would suggest reading reviews out on different cameras and also I would spend sometime reading different photography forums to see what ohters have to say about particular cameras that are out there. Good luck :smile:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and one other component for having nice images is your post processing software.

Mike Cruz

Coral Fiend
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For LEDs I was recommended this setup:

Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Kit w/ EF-S/18-55 IS 4462B003
Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens 4657A006 B&H Photo

Comes out to about $1,300 with tax if you pick up at best buy - the standalone camera is suppose to be really good for wide angle shots and the macro lense, of course is pretty beastly. I have seen many photos from various people using this setup and LEDs and they are beautiful.

I have to say a lot of "perfecting" when it comes to taking pictures of LED lit tanks comes from post processing. So I would also recommend a good image editing software such as photo booth or Photoshop.

HTH.

1Snapple

3g Picotope
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the only way to get good pictures under LEDs is with post processing.
I use photoshop CS5, which is expencive but in my mind completely worth it.

but also keep in mind, post processing only does well if the picture is good, so its definately a mix of both when it comes to LEDs and macro photography

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy the Canon, it comes with a good post processing software. Take the pix in RAW format and then edit them and then convert to jpg and you are all set.

Back