New carpenter wrasse, normal behavior?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in a new carpenter wrasse into the tank today. Mail order and acclimated for about an hour or so like all my other fish.

Put him in and usually new fish hide In the back, or in some caves, but this guy is up front laying on and between some rocks, alive but not moving. I get that he is stressed, but is this normal for this fish to play dead or do I need to be worrying.

Just odd that he is hiding out front, haven't
Seen that before.

In the acclimating bucket he would also lay down on his side if I didn't pour water in for a bit, then perk back up.
Normal behaviour?

20171207_141009.jpg
20171207_141708.jpg

(Excuse the lack of clarity in these pics, I also got a an orange diamond goby and he's making a mess in my sand bed right now)

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, very normal behavior for any flasher wrasse. In general, they get a bit more active after the first ~2 days so long as there isn’t another fish going after them too much. Try offering small meaty foods a couple times per day starting tomorrow to entice him to come out. (Try to leave him be overnight)

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, very normal behavior for any flasher wrasse. In general, they get a bit more active after the first ~2 days so long as there isn’t another fish going after them too much. Try offering small meaty foods a couple times per day starting tomorrow to entice him to come out. (Try to leave him be overnight)

You were spot on Jake! Carpenter wrasse is out and about today especially as of feeding time. Eating flake and mysis. Looks healthy! Thanks for calling that shot!

My mystery wrasse is nudging him during feeding when they go after the same area for food but nothing serious. He will sometimes wim by him and give a slight whip just to let him know he's new to the tank but not aggressively chasingor biting him at all.

All good with the new wrasse Thanks!
20171208_154326.jpg
20171208_154328.jpg

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exquisite sleeps like that and when I first got him I thought he was dead until I scared him with the net lol

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were spot on Jake! Carpenter wrasse is out and about today especially as of feeding time. Eating flake and mysis. Looks healthy! Thanks for calling that shot!

My mystery wrasse is nudging him during feeding when they go after the same area for food but nothing serious. He will sometimes wim by him and give a slight whip just to let him know he's new to the tank but not aggressively chasingor biting him at all.

All good with the new wrasse Thanks!

Awesome to hear! Great looking fish.. here’s mine (in QT with his buddies)
f4d78ddb67c886ba19e111965e38bf94.heic

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on that mystery. They can be pretty nasty with other wrasse..

Yes I'm defiantly keeping an eye on him, but so far so good, haven' seen the angry aggression yet. (Knocks on wood).

Surprisingly Mine has definitely settled into the tank already. Complete opposite of the other day, he is now hanging out front most of the time which is great so I can see if he is getting picked on.

Nice! The colors look great on yours!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back