OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No changes at all. I wonder if I should dial the lights back a bit? My pistol shrimp has neen kicking some sand around. Maybe that has something to do with it.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped the intensity of the light 10% so will see what happens. The clam didnt open back up the rest of the day. It looked like this.

1516852922200938904955.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no change. Clam is open from 2 to 5 and shut the rest of the day. Have the hydra 52's down to 65%. It was a little more open once the lights went down. Another inspection today for snails and nothing. Caught a few hermits on the shell cleaning some algea.

1516937784554636780228.jpg

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't change anything, if it were some kind of disease. The last thing you want are changes that further the stress on the clam. If it has the strength, which it likely does from the size, then it will fight off the disease on its own. My Derasa came down with something that ate away at its flesh, no snails or fish at play as far as I could see. It survived with the teeth and a portion of the inhalent siphon eaten away, and looked like yours for a month before it bounced back and grew back flesh.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured i would keep updating until something happens. Still no real change. The clam opened for a few minutes today but immediately blew out water and closed up. Thought about what I did the last few weeks. I added some ceramic rings into the sump to seed a QT tank. Likely unrelated but regardless I took them out. Was due to do a 30 gallon water change and replace carbon. Will likely hold off for the time being but thinking maybe fresh carbon could help. Tested alk and cal and both are right on target, 425 and 10.1 dkh dosing brs two part.

15170139972571583362097.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights rampimg up and currently at 40%. Clam in nearly fully open. Maube today is the day all returns to normal?

15170756625511920396210.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for that. Clam semi open and will likely remain this way as it has the last week.

15170883334592140585791.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another thread going. Its hanging in there. Not sure if its going to make it but it is still alive.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a total of 6 clams all types. On several occasions I have had a couple that just don’t open up as much as before. I keep an eye on them and they go weeks not opening. Everything in the tank and other clams are fine. So I take and move them to another spot. I had a large maxima up in a nice ledge for 2 years and was doing great. One day it stopped opening up as much. After 2 weeks Of not opening I moved to the sand and within a couple hours it was back to full mantle. It’s been 3 months since that move and it’s still looking great today. My other clam was on the sand and same thing only I moved to other side of tank and kept in the sand and it also opened up. This all happened at different times so both clams did not behave like this at the same time. Today both look fantastic so I would suggest moving in your tank for now and see if there is any change. Maybe flow or light or something is not making it happy. It’s not always the water quality that makes them mad.

Last edited:

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a total of 6 clams all types. On several occasions I have had a couple that just don’t open up as much as before. I keep an eye on them and they go weeks not opening. Everything in the tank and other clams are fine. So I take and move them to another spot. I had a large maxima up in a nice ledge for 2 years and was doing great. One day it stopped opening up as much. After 2 weeks Of not opening I moved to the sand and within a couple hours it was back to full mantle. It’s been 3 months since that move and it’s still looking great today. My other clam was on the sand and same thing only I moved to other side of tank and kept in the sand and it also opened up. This all happened at different times so both clams did not behave like this at the same time. Today both look fantastic so I would suggest moving in your tank for now and see if there is any change. Maybe flow or light or something is not making it happy. It’s not always the water quality that makes them mad.
I might have to try that, mine doesn’t look any worse but no better either.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back