New Clam Mantle Extension

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically how long does it take for a clam to expand its Mantle. I just got a Blue Squamosa and its really not doing much.

I havent had a new clam in quite a while. I have a 7 year old Derasa that is about the size of a football and is always open.

15144190589391678766781.jpg

15144191547871033707908.jpg

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically how long does it take for a clam to expand its Mantle. I just got a Blue Squamosa and its really not doing much.

I havent had a new clam in quite a while. I have a 7 year old Derasa that is about the size of a football and is always open.

15144190589391678766781.jpg

15144191547871033707908.jpg
Nice, Derasa!
Depend on each own clam, some will take a day or 2, some need a week and some time up to 2 weeks.
I have clams fully opened as soon I place it in my tank, these clams were at LFS and they are using same light system like mine so it doesn't need to acclimate to the light.
While clam that I bought in the tank light up with t5 then it will take them almost 2 weeks before fully open its mantle.
I recently bought a gold Squamosa from DD and it's not fully open up yet (1 week in my tank already), it doesn't die but seem like its not really a healthy clam.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I ordered from DD because my LFS refused to get a Squamosa for me, while DD has super friendly customer service and 14 days live guarantee but I'm not happy with their clams, it's ridiculous small in size and they should not listing them for sale.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should know all that you need to know in a day or two. Try and put something solid underneath the sand... even a flattened out piece of putty about 2-3" in diameter will help. I do find that even Squammies will do better when attached. I usually put the disc just under the sand.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually found a use for frag plugs, lol. I got one underneath it so lets see if that helps. Its very rensponsive to shadows so hoping that is a good sign.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My squamosa responsive to light and fish movement around it but it doesn't open much like it should be by now, its byssal hole pretty much closed up and I surprise its still really small for this happen, from what I've read squamosa totally close up byssal hole when they are large and heavy enough but mine still a baby LOL

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a clam that didn't open right away after shipping at least a couple hours in. Keep us updated!

FYI you might want to consider QT of new clams. I bought a ORA blue squammy from LA years ago and it transferred something and killed all my existing clams I had for years despite doing everything I could to save them.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save the images and contact DD, it the clam is not fully open tomorrow. Beautiful softy tank, just gorgeous.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save the images and contact DD, it the clam is not fully open tomorrow. Beautiful softy tank, just gorgeous.
What do you going to tell them?
It's not dying or gasping, it's just not fully open up.
I can file a complaint but I don't even think they would do anything about it and I would think they will just tell me to wait for it settle in :)

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can file a complaint but I don't even think they would do anything about it and I would think they will just tell me to wait for it settle in :)
When we got our blue squamosa from DD we were worried too because of how it looked. You can message live Aquaria on Facebook to start the documentation process so everything is dated. We did that and I also called a few times. They are very helpful and do document everything. So if something does go wrong you have all the proof you need.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That the clam does not appear healthy.
Any healthy clam I have received almost always opened fully immediately, unless flow was an issue.
It just gives them a heads up and they will ask the customer to give it more time, error on the side of caution and it's no skin off anyone's nose.
Been keeping Tridacna for over 20 years, and acquired many a clam from DD. DD seems to be having a run of bad luck in the clam department this year ime.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I contact them and file a complaint here pictures for comparison after a week.
1) Arrived late and after acclimated and placed in my tank.
look normal.jpg

2) One week later, It does look better but not much.
Squamosa.jpg

3) The picture below is a new clam fully opened up just a few minutes in my tank (it's shrink a bit due to its responded to my shadow.
New Maxima.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heree is what it looks like now. Still about the same maybe a a bit better. It looked better when the hydra 52's were ramping up. Wonder if the light may be a bit strong and i should dial it back a bit.

1514494896158472903028.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we got our blue squamosa from DD we were worried too because of how it looked. You can message live Aquaria on Facebook to start the documentation process so everything is dated. We did that and I also called a few times. They are very helpful and do document everything. So if something does go wrong you have all the proof you need.

Did it look similar to mine? I am assuming you had a good outcome?

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking more open today. Still not getting the normal mantle expansion but its definitly more open.

1514571731774104830090.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back