new clam

scott89wing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a new clam my first one dont wanna kill it any thing special i need to do been keeping cal at 420-440 and alk is around 8 and have him in the sand running 6 bulb t5 light now but leds should be here today or this weekend so should have pleanty of light since is only 29 biocube

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you got some phyto on hand. Under 2-3" its recommended you feed them. I have a coral feeder and spot feed him plus add stuff to the water that is specially formulated for filter feeders. Mine is about 3" now so watching him closely to make sure I don't kill him.

OP
OP
S

scott89wing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep reading that everyone puts them up as hi as possible but im afraid to sit on rock n falling off will it be ok in the sand?

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep reading that everyone puts them up as hi as possible but im afraid to sit on rock n falling off will it be ok in the sand?

What species is it? Some are more light demanding than others.

Another consideration: make sure you don't have any fish or inverts that will nip at it or constantly stress it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of clams!

Tom

OP
OP
S

scott89wing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes got a bottle of that how offeten should i feed him i did the 2nd light i got him let him get acc first night and day then feed the 2nd night should i feed everynight or everyother ?

OP
OP
S

scott89wing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a maroon clown a green chromis and 2 zebra damels a coral banded shrimp few crabs n sails a pincusion urchin thats about it

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Derasa will be fine in the sand bed. I would not move it into the rocks unless you have an extremely stable placement where the claim has no risk of falling. Derasa are not rock boring clams. Your lighting is more than sufficient.
Unless the clam is under 2 inches I would not worry about feeding it, just my 2 cents.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a crocea clam that was 2 and half inches when I got it and I put a squirt of phyto in very seldom and its fine. If you are feeding your fish well the clam will fine.

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam I placed in sand bed. Some days he buries himself others I find him climbing on the rock, next he is back in sand. Place him on the bottom and let him go where he wants.

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam I placed in sand bed. Some days he buries himself others I find him climbing on the rock, next he is back in sand. Place him on the bottom and let him go where he wants.

What type of clam do you have? Tridacna clams usually don't (if they even can) move that much.

Tom

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with tom. I have only seen them tilt in the direction of flow they choose. There is a lot of great articles on here of feeding vs not feeding and pretty much everything about clam.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with tom. I have only seen them tilt in the direction of flow they choose. There is a lot of great articles on here of feeding vs not feeding and pretty much everything about clam.

I have a small Maxima that came on a rock. it moved all around the rock till it found its happy place. I have a rather large squamosa that has done almost a complete 360 degree turn in the sandbed. They do and will move if they aren't quite happy with where they are. My derasa on the other hand just stayed on the rock I placed under it in the sand bed and hasn't moved at all. But yes, that clam will outgrow your cube before long.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed mine either, I've heard it's not necessary if you are feeding fish. They should get enough from the lights.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed mine and they are just fine. There is so much nutrients in the tank for clams to take in. I tried feeding them when I first got them and all they would do is sneeze. I really don't think they much cared for it. This is just my opinion and am by far no expert.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed mine and they are just fine. There is so much nutrients in the tank for clams to take in. I tried feeding them when I first got them and all they would do is sneeze. I really don't think they much cared for it. This is just my opinion and am by far no expert.

But you hit the nail on the head! What they do take in from feeding is minimal. Basically just scraping the algae from your glass is more than enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back