New clam

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my previous clam after having it about a week. I’m not sure why it died. It was ordered from DD.

I received another on Tuesday, much smaller. An aquacultured clam that was already attached to a rock.

It arrived looking good, acclimated well and went in the tank. Next morning the clam had detached itself from the rock and sitting upright in the sand. It’s small about 2 inches. It was fully open and looked ok. I placed it back on the rock and it keeps moving to the sand.

It’s been 4 days now and it looks fine. Reacts great to shadowing.

My question is do I leave it be or try to move it?
This is in my 13.5 evo running a Kessil 360 WE.

I’m growing everything under the sun in the tank from acros to Zoas.

I maintain 1.026 SG
9.0 Alk
420 cal
1320 mag
.02 phos
Nitrates are between 10 - 16

I’ve been trying to bring down my nitrates to below 10 but even with these numbers I have no algae outbreak.

I do have a heavy bio load but am meticulous when it comes to maintenance on the tank.

Fish include

2 clowns
1 bi color blenny
1 cardinal
1 blue spotted jawfish

Trio of sexy shrimp
Clean up crew

And approx 30 - 40 different types of coral.

I skim very heavily and also have a Jebeao tw - 8 with controller for additional flow.

So sorry but back to the original question. Leave the clam be or try to place it somewhere else on rockwork?

I’ll get a pic of the clam up shortly.

a820d26e23daf14ce567f6573afe071f.jpg
b5acfc71b13ebbd9d08794d1b52561dc.jpg
2510354fee13d3536b40be27af25dbef.jpg
528acfc681fd2e8ce3df5cc495db1ff6.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you note how the clams "vents" were oriented when it moved?

It might be looking for the correct flow.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be and let it acclimate. Most clams I've purchased detach from whatever substrate they arrive on.
Mine have all settled with the exhalant siphon into the flow. Including a couple of hitchikers. Have you observed this?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in some clams but my squamosa I don't. Anytime I positioned the incurrent siphon towards flow it moves within the hour. The big squamosa did that too. Could be the amount of flow as well.
Interesting.
My flow is right to left here.
IMG_0160.JPG

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is too, right to left. Here's how the squamosa likes to sit. If I turn him into the flow he positions himself back like this. The last time i moved him I yelled fine! Lol he's facing the glass as the flow passes over him.
20170908_143808.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have an incredible water change schedule. I have a similar bio load on my 46G LOL. Tank looks beautiful and clam looks to be settling in well. Hope this one lives a long healthy life. At that small size I believe supplemental dosing of phyto in the water may help to keep it alive, as when clams are young they primarily get their energy from filter feeding rather than photosynthesis.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think where the inhalant siphon direction is matter, the flow power and how much flow it's matter to them. My Blue Maxi got the flow that hit the tank wall then bounce back and hit it shell and it doesn't move or bother to correct its position, my derasa turned and stay in a position that its getting same hit flow like Blue maxi. Also, all my flows are from my canister filter return line that hit tank wall and bounce back to the rock work, the flow strong enough to hit everything in tank and gentle move clams mantles a bit. The 700 GPH circulation point at the back tank wall to move water behind the rock work to avoid dead spot.
@chuckfu5 if you want your clam stay on a rock then you will need to find a flat rock that big enough for its to sit and attach to the rock, my babies maxi sitting on my rock work and attached to the rock less than a day, see picture below. The Blue MAxi on sand bed I don't want to move it because its already attached to the tank bottom. The 2x derasa (the one on far left is a walker, its keep walking over everywhere but it doesn't show any stresses, always open wide and show new shell growth, it's just love to walk....
Tank Overall 2.jpg

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon the light out, its started to "walk" LOL
I used flash light to check on it and I wonder what do you want Derasa? Do you want to be on the rock work like those Maximas too? I picked it up and place it on the rock work 5 inches above the sand bed and surprisingly it doesn't move a whole night and I saw it producing thread to take a hold onto the rock this morning! I hope it will stay put for a while lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back