OP
OP
cwalton00

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think the bug has already hit me haha. If these two start to get larger a calcium reactor will probably be needed.

OP
OP
cwalton00

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdue update to the clams and a full tank shot for you guys.
b84a0174120a4f11f71dcb96210e3bda.jpg
2775f1ebf3b9d43f970a0a99a8fac94a.jpg
dbd533ae65da6bed79f7ef6359346be4.jpg
639217bdb0480ba588fb0ccc7812adbc.jpg
16d91055554ad4d6641af8531a7d9bd2.jpg

OP
OP
cwalton00

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who's tank it is. If you can maintain stability and give the clam enough light a maxima could work.

Is seems as of lately people have been struggling to fine a healthy clam. Once you get past that they are surprisingly hardy creatures.

Mine were both purchased locally but I know @Orcus Varuna just purchased one from live aquaria that seems to be doing well.
Would you recommend a clam in a 10 gallon ?

RealistMiami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who's tank it is. If you can maintain stability and give the clam enough light a maxima could work.

Is seems as of lately people have been struggling to fine a healthy clam. Once you get past that they are surprisingly hardy creatures.

Mine were both purchased locally but I know @Orcus Varuna just purchased one from live aquaria that seems to be doing well.

I have a 10 g i do regular water changes. I make my own ro di water with a brs brand unit so its always 0 tds an i use red sea pro salt an add a bit of magnesium when being made. I have a jedi mind trick monti an a lepto that are doing great an growing. So i was thinking a clam would be cool on the bottom of my tank on the floor. I hear they suck up alot of calcium i believe or alk im not sure. Thanks for your help thus far btw all your points are very helpful in my venture to learning about them an which one i should get

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 g i do regular water changes. I make my own ro di water with a brs brand unit so its always 0 tds an i use red sea pro salt an add a bit of magnesium when being made. I have a jedi mind trick monti an a lepto that are doing great an growing. So i was thinking a clam would be cool on the bottom of my tank on the floor. I hear they suck up alot of calcium i believe or alk im not sure. Thanks for your help thus far btw all your points are very helpful in my venture to learning about them an which one i should get

They will utilize calcium and alkalinity equally to build new shell. I would highly recommend you let the tank mature more and purchase a dosing pump prior to adding a clam for Ca & Alk supplementation. A clam will use way too much of both daily once established.

RealistMiami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will utilize calcium and alkalinity equally to build new shell. I would highly recommend you let the tank mature more and purchase a dosing pump prior to adding a clam for Ca & Alk supplementation. A clam will use way too much of both daily once established.

I agree. I’ve been cycling my tank without coral more 8 months tho im def not waiting any longer ahha but i agree. I would need a dosing pump if i get one. Just might not get one an grow an nice zoa an acan garden on the bottom of my tank floor

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I’ve been cycling my tank without coral more 8 months tho im def not waiting any longer ahha but i agree. I would need a dosing pump if i get one. Just might not get one an grow an nice zoa an acan garden on the bottom of my tank floor

Clams are not the easiest of critters to keep especially in a small system because of the demands they put on ca and all usage. But that’s only an issue if you find a healthy one, which is becoming increasingly difficult to do. 8-10 years ago I could punt one into my tank and it would establish and grow like a weed. After I got back in the hobby a little over 2 years ago after being away for about 5 years I have gone through 7 clams from multiple vendors which all died in less than 2 weeks of me getting them. I’m on clam number 8 now and this one looks like it’s at least trying to establish but we shall see as it’s only been in my tank for about 10 days.

RealistMiami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are not the easiest of critters to keep especially in a small system because of the demands they put on ca and all usage. But that’s only an issue if you find a healthy one, which is becoming increasingly difficult to do. 8-10 years ago I could punt one into my tank and it would establish and grow like a weed. After I got back in the hobby a little over 2 years ago after being away for about 5 years I have gone through 7 clams from multiple vendors which all died in less than 2 weeks of me getting them. I’m on clam number 8 now and this one looks like it’s at least trying to establish but we shall see as it’s only been in my tank for about 10 days.

I hear ya man. That really sucks. I hope this one stays alive. I prob woulf have quit after 2 dying lol thanks for the info. Im def going into liking the idea of an acan bottom with some zoas.

Cyked1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For a noob, why is that? What's changed over the years in your opinion?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a noob, why is that? What's changed over the years in your opinion?

My guess would be one of two explanations 1) the proliferation of the use of ozone over the past decade on major importer holding systems. This has the effect of stripping systems of nutrients so that by the time the clam ships to you it has essentially been starved half to death. 2) major importer systems are infected with a protozoan infection of some sort that is magnified 100 fold in a closed system similar to ich, velvet, brook etc. that overwhelms the clams immune system when the stress of shipping comes into play.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back