new clownfish may be defected?

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

Just got 2 clownfish. One female, one male. I got them off trade me (kinda like facebook marketplace) from another hobbyist who had some experience and was also selling a bunch of frags and stuff.

The female is fine, but the male seems kinda odd to me. His color is a lot lighter/more yellow, his black coloration is kind of faded/jagged, and I think he may be missing the first dorsal fin on top of the head. He also has a dip/dent right on the head above his eyes. His swimming appears to be fine/not affected. I've only had him for about two days but he's active and eating well.

Wondering if maybe there's something wrong? Not too worried about his coloration, but the missing dorsal fin and the head dent is suspicious to me. Maybe he should have been a cull, but wasn't?

Will attach photos later sorry.

Thank you!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's swimming fine and eating well why worry? Also, the dent in the head is just a genetic trait (if you're referring to what I think)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

Just got 2 clownfish. One female, one male. I got them off trade me (kinda like facebook marketplace) from another hobbyist who had some experience and was also selling a bunch of frags and stuff.

The female is fine, but the male seems kinda odd to me. His color is a lot lighter/more yellow, his black coloration is kind of faded/jagged, and I think he may be missing the first dorsal fin on top of the head. He also has a dip/dent right on the head above his eyes. His swimming appears to be fine/not affected. I've only had him for about two days but he's active and eating well.

Wondering if maybe there's something wrong? Not too worried about his coloration, but the missing dorsal fin and the head dent is suspicious to me. Maybe he should have been a cull, but wasn't?

Thank you!
Did you ask the person you got it from about the possibly damaged fin or your other concerns?

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by cull, but I believe most reefers are fine with a slightly "special" fish...

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s just a little special is all...

IMG_0055.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Clown Fish are defective! I noticed one of mine swimming upside down when he was feeding. Got very concerned, after he had finished, went back to swimming normally. Seen him do that many times, since then.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

Thank you!
Is it a Cuban or North Korean Clownfish?

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s just a little special is all...

IMG_0055.png
You beat me to it, I was going to say you can call him Forest.

Clowns are definitely a lil different, I have two tiny holes the back false wall of my AIO, one of them lets the hole suck him up and he sleeps there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back