New Continuous duty doser option from bubble Magus.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Thanks for sharing, will be good to see a long term review of this one. Very reasonably priced indeed!

OP
OP
S

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor flow through. What else is people using continuous duty pumps for?

I'm guessing you don't use a calcium reactor?
Kalk. That's what I use it for. Now your running 15gal of effluent through your reactor? At what ph? System size?

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
114gal of effluent per day, you must have a swimming pool reef.
I think you're confusing a calcium reactor with a kalkwasser reactor.
A good start point for a calcium reactor is 30 to 40 ml per min.

But don't take my word for it.

Here's the georeef set up instructions.

The initial settings are an arbitrary number but should be set
slow to start. 30 ml per minute and 20 bubbles per minute is a safe place to start for most system

Heres the instructions for reef octopus

After the time has passed, you can adjust the flow rate of the effluent to
a slow drip, about 50-60ml per minute drip rate. Each tank will vary, as all tanks are different.

And Here's meleevs reef
  1. Close the pinch valve on the effluent tubing so that the output is roughly 40-60ml per minute.

OP
OP
S

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ph are you running that calcium reactor at? Lower ph melts the calcium at a faster rate increasing the alk and calcium of the effluent. Depending on systems size running 114g a day through the calcium reactor is going to drive the systems ph way down.

Personally I dose kalk slurry ( light slurry) at 5 gal a day to my 1200gal system. And use all for reef as a secondary dose for trace elements . Now I'm about to add a calcium reactor and use it as a doser controlled by the reef factory kh pro for any adjustments needed. Back in the early 90s when I last used a calcium reactor I do not remember pushing anywhere near 300ml a minute through it. Instead I remember counting bubbles and drips per second. 300ml a minute is closer to a flow source in the sump haha.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ph are you running that calcium reactor at? Lower ph melts the calcium at a faster rate increasing the alk and calcium of the effluent. Depending on systems size running 114g a day through the calcium reactor is going to drive the systems ph way down.

Personally I dose kalk slurry ( light slurry) at 5 gal a day to my 1200gal system. And use all for reef as a secondary dose for trace elements . Now I'm about to add a calcium reactor and use it as a doser controlled by the reef factory kh pro for any adjustments needed. Back in the early 90s when I last used a calcium reactor I do not remember pushing anywhere near 300ml a minute through it. Instead I remember counting bubbles and drips per second. 300ml a minute is closer to a flow source in the sump haha.
300 no. I've been as high as 100ml m

My system gallon is about 500.
I run a dual chamber calcium reactor with a third gas off chamber at about 6.6 pH with coarse arm in the 1st 2 chambers and fine in the 3rd.

I run it in tandem with a kalkwasser reactor which dumps roughly a gallon of day into the system. It is being controlled by the trident guardrails.

I like using both as the kalkwasser counteracts the low pH effects from a calcium reactor.

I have never really used two part or any of the magic potions available today.

OP
OP
S

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 no. I've been as high as 100ml m

My system gallon is about 500.
I run a dual chamber calcium reactor with a third gas off chamber at about 6.6 pH with coarse arm in the 1st 2 chambers and fine in the 3rd.

I run it in tandem with a kalkwasser reactor which dumps roughly a gallon of day into the system. It is being controlled by the trident guardrails.

I like using both as the kalkwasser counteracts the low pH effects from a calcium reactor.

I have never really used two part or any of the magic potions available today.
Easy enough to do the old 2 is 1 1 is none rule. , by using 2 or more doses to feed the calcium reactor if you need higher output. Then if 1 fails your reactor will only slow down output.

I also like to have redundancy by running kalkwasser and the all for reef. That is why I will run the calcium reactor as support for the kalkwasser. The kamoer is my go to but is out of stock.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy enough to do the old 2 is 1 1 is none rule. , by using 2 or more doses to feed the calcium reactor if you need higher output. Then if 1 fails your reactor will only slow down output.

I also like to have redundancy by running kalkwasser and the all for reef. That is why I will run the calcium reactor as support for the kalkwasser. The kamoer is my go to but is out of stock.
I like my big bubble magus skimmer. I have also used a five and a seven at different times on various things. Good skimmers they just work.

That said, I found it strange that they would make a continuous duty pump that would only run at a maximum of 40 ml a minute. The only thing that I think of in the hobby that needs continuous duty is a calcium reactor.

Back in the day I had a master flex running my calcium reactor but it was gigantic and extremely noisy of the kamoer is definitely a great option. And that's probably why it's become the workhorse of the hobby

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more curious about how the pumps made. How are the bearings? All my old litermeter and masterflexes just work, I’ve had to replace kamoer bearings on several so I’m curios anout these new pumps for sure

OP
OP
S

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my big bubble magus skimmer. I have also used a five and a seven at different times on various things. Good skimmers they just work.

That said, I found it strange that they would make a continuous duty pump that would only run at a maximum of 40 ml a minute. The only thing that I think of in the hobby that needs continuous duty is a calcium reactor.

Back in the day I had a master flex running my calcium reactor but it was gigantic and extremely noisy of the kamoer is definitely a great option. And that's probably why it's become the workhorse of the hobby
Kalkwasser dosing continously is also a reason to use a continuous duty doser. Kalkwasser has come back into vogue so there's a market. The small wifi only kamoer continuous duty only last a year and is only 10.00 cheaper then these. That one also will run a higher flow, but again I don't see many people really needing a higher flow.

Average reef size is what a redsea 750xl, which is a 180gal? I doubt a 180g would be able to handle more then 40ml a minute effluent flow without driving the tanks ph down so low it would melt the coral.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By dose my kalkwasser in intervals throughout the day. That's why I don't think of it as needing a continuous dosing pump. But hey anything's possible

OP
OP
S

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By dose my kalkwasser in intervals throughout the day. That's why I don't think of it as needing a continuous dosing pump. But hey anything's possible
I dose continuously 24hr a day. Keeps things very stable that way.

OP
OP
S

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Trident for guard rails for my dosing. The Neptune dos is not a continuous duty pump
I'm looking at using the reef factory kh pro coupled with the hydros 10 for my security. The hydros ph meter will be controlling power to the dose pump just incase the dose pump until the ph rises again. Otherwise I'll do the same but with the kalkwasser and let the kh pro monitor the calcium reactor dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back