New coral dying in a matter of hours.

Sley1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocube was used for about 6 months before I got it. The guy that I had bought it from was getting rid of it because he was upgrading to a larger tank. He was using rodi water and only had a few fish.

Did the previous owner ever have copper in the tank? Other than the tank itself did Any of your equipment, rock or substrate come from his tank or did you start with all new?

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the previous owner ever have copper in the tank? Other than the tank itself did Any of your equipment, rock or substrate come from his tank or did you start with all new?
I do not believe there was any copper in the tank because he was going to add coral
,but he decided to move to a larger aquarium before he did. I did use the rocks and sand but that is because there was no alage on them and he only had the tank up for 6 months and only used rodi water.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still really think that the parameters in your tank were so far off from what the coral was used to that it was too much of a shock for them. Do you think I'm correct on this @DSC reef ?
I think that is what did it. But I need to figure out why the salt has such high trace elements.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still really think that the parameters in your tank were so far off from what the coral was used to that it was too much of a shock for them. Do you think I'm correct on this @DSC reef ?
I agree. Having the proper test kits, calibration fluid, etc, will help with more accurate testing.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a bucket of Tropic Marin. It's so weird because when I tried doing everything correctly everything dies. And when I was using tap water and never doing water changes I had Zoanthids,Duncan's Green Birds Nest, Duncans and some others thriving. But when I use Rodi water and test and do water changes all the corals die instantly.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a bucket of Tropic Marin. It's so weird because when I tried doing everything correctly everything dies. And when I was using tap water and never doing water changes I had Zoanthids,Duncan's Green Birds Nest, Duncans and some others thriving. But when I use Rodi water and test and do water changes all the corals die instantly.
That sounds about right

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned never use distilled water to calibrate refractometer. I just calibrated the refractometer with 35ppt calibration solution and set the refractometer to 1.026. And then tested the water in my tank and it reads 1.035 lol. How big of a water change with fresh water should I add?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So water changes are a dilution so will take a bit to fix as that is 46ppt down to 35ppt.

What you could do is actually lower with freshwater.
**Warning math ahead lol***
Going to approximate your total water volume at 25 gallons which could be very off.
But this will use a series of small changes and is a bit cheaper than using saltwater.

Remove 1 gallon of tank water and replace via a drip with 1 gallon on fresh water.

On or about the 7th change you will be at 35ppt.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So water changes are a dilution so will take a bit to fix as that is 46ppt down to 35ppt.

What you could do is actually lower with freshwater.
**Warning math ahead lol***
Going to approximate your total water volume at 25 gallons which could be very off.
But this will use a series of small changes and is a bit cheaper than using saltwater.

Remove 1 gallon of tank water and replace via a drip with 1 gallon on fresh water.

On or about the 7th change you will be at 35ppt.
Dang I dislike math lol. I will need to figure out the water volume in my tank. I have a deep sand bed 3-4 inches, probably around 30 pounds of rock and the back is filled to the over flow slot.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do one of the 1 gallon changes. And see change with your now calibrated refractometer. Plot 2 of these changes on a graph.

1 side label number of gallon changes the other-side salinity. After you have 2 points connect them with a straight edge. Will let you estimate how many of these to do with drawing no math :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw a cheap drip. Take a gallon water jug and poke a hole in the bottom. Suspend over the tank with a piece of wood that leaves the hole over the tank.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw a cheap drip. Take a gallon water jug and poke a hole in the bottom. Suspend over the tank with a piece of wood that leaves the hole over the tank.
I remove 1 gallon of water and then have a bucket with fresh water and a pump turn on the pump for a couple of seconds and turn it off to let it dilute and then do that over and over again.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy that the snails and hermit crabs survived being at that high of a salinity for so long.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back