New Coral QT Tank Question

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm setting up 2 QT tanks, one for coral and one for fish. I have a few questions because of the mixed info I see online Regarding the coral QT tank.

1) Aside form using my main DT water, bio balls & live rock is there any solutions I should be adding to this tank to help the coral stay happy & speed the process of the cycle?
2) I have a "fresh water" multi color led, can this be used to keep the coral happy while they are in QT for 76 days? To be specific I have the Current USA LED Bar LINK TO CURRENT LIGHT

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) It depends. If you are adding live rock and bioballs that were previously in your DT, you may not need to go through a cycle, as the bacteria should have colonized those surfaces (assuming your DT is cycled). If on the other hand you are adding only water from your DT and have new substrate you may need to wait for the full cycle. You could use one of the bacteria in a bottle solutions, or you could leave some of the media or a sponge to seed in your DT for a couple of weeks and then transfer to the QT to start the cycle.
2) What types of corals are you keeping? I am not familiar with those lights but I would not trust them for 76 days. Wonder if they would promote algae growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back