New corals in tank. Have some questions!

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just put my first corals in the tank today. Just wondering if my placement is good? Also should I not glue them down into final position until I watch for a few days to make sure they're happy where they are?

Thanks for the help!

Screenshot_20220922_145346_Gallery.jpg 20220922_145041.jpg

Absolutely Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, first off tank looks great! Welcome to the reef hobby if these are your first corals. I would agree that it is best not to glue down your coral frags right away until they appear to be opening and happy. We usually advise a few weeks to make sure!

Based on the photos the placement looks pretty good! I would say maybe watch the alveopora and consider moving it down and away from any direct water flow as these corals can be a bit more delicate. Otherwise I would expect to see everything opening up nicely if the water chemistry and lighting is to the coral’s liking.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, first off tank looks great! Welcome to the reef hobby if these are your first corals. I would agree that it is best not to glue down your coral frags right away until they appear to be opening and happy. We usually advise a few weeks to make sure!

Based on the photos the placement looks pretty good! I would say maybe watch the alveopora and consider moving it down and away from any direct water flow as these corals can be a bit more delicate. Otherwise I would expect to see everything opening up nicely if the water chemistry and lighting is to the coral’s liking.
Thanks, I'm actually a customer of yours. Plan on getting some corals from you guys as well. 2 of the alveopora are actually already opening up. The ricordea as completely open. One head of the hammer is open and the other is closed. 1 alveopora is completely closed but looks like it's starting to open up.

Absolutely Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a cool coincidence!
If the alveopora are opening you don’t necessarily need to move them, just keep an eye out that they are continuing to look happy. I usually give a coral a few days to a week in each spot before moving them to make sure they have had a chance to acclimate.
If they don’t look open and full after some time you can trying doing a little bit of shuffling or double check your water parameters.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a cool coincidence!
If the alveopora are opening you don’t necessarily need to move them, just keep an eye out that they are continuing to look happy. I usually give a coral a few days to a week in each spot before moving them to make sure they have had a chance to acclimate.
If they don’t look open and full after some time you can trying doing a little bit of shuffling or double check your water parameters.
Thanks for the help! All the fish in the tank are from the store!

Any idea why 1 head of the hammer would be so open and the other wouldn't?

Absolutely Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

In some cases it can mean nothing if has only been a short time.

If it has been longer than a few days I would see if one side is getting an uneven amount of light or water flow.
Were both heads open when you purchased it?

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

In some cases it can mean nothing if has only been a short time.

If it has been longer than a few days I would see if one side is getting an uneven amount of light or water flow.
Were both heads open when you purchased it?
This one was given to me by a fellow local hobbyist. It was fine. I think it just wasn't happy from the move.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back