New Cowfish

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new cowfish yesterday (named cheese) for my 90 gallon and hes doing wonderful. Im looking to get him some meaty foods today, any suggestions? I just want to make him as happy as I can since Ive wanted one for several years.

Attachments

• IMG_5747.MP4
    7.8 MB
OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record hes about half an inch in size and im planning a to get ATLEAST a 200 gallon for him in my basement once he gets bigger.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pigs man, in my experience. It's been years since I had the FOWLR tanks but at the time mine loved about anything I'd give it....chopped clams, mysis shrimps, etc. You could go get a bag of frozen reef frenzy (as it has all that stuffs in it) and I'd bet he'd go gonzo for it. Maybe look for the reef frenzy nano since he's a bit small at the moment. They get big....like huge. Around 18" as adults. They'll only live about 5-8 years though. They add mass quick. It'll shoot to 4" pretty fast then kinda stagnate, but once he hits "adult size" of about 7-8" he'll just grow like a weed. Good luck! Never had any issues with the toxins with mine. I think it's overblown.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new cowfish yesterday (named cheese) for my 90 gallon and hes doing wonderful. Im looking to get him some meaty foods today, any suggestions? I just want to make him as happy as I can since Ive wanted one for several years.
I love cowfish! That was the first saltwater fish I ever had, and it would always come up to the surface and squirt water at me when I walked up to the tank. ;Happy Tons of personality.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's tiny, don't know if he's bi enough yet but Hikari mega marine and mysis may be a good place to start. A variety of fresh seafood at your market; shrimp, clams, mussels, salmon, scallop. Mince up very fine to the appropriate size for him. Yeah, I have literally bought one prawn for my fish, they look at you weird until you show them a pic of what you are feeding. I did this before there were camera phones, so it was very weird. Freeze small batches that you can cut off little bits as you need them. The more small feeding a day while he is that small the better, if you can manage 3 a day that would be great.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cute little fish! I had one of these in high school before I knew what their tank size requirements were. I LOVED him. Feel free to post updates about your little fish, so I can live vicariously through your posts :D
I like the name too :O)

OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cute little fish! I had one of these in high school before I knew what their tank size requirements were. I LOVED him. Feel free to post updates about your little fish, so I can live vicariously through your posts :D
I like the name too :O)
I for sure will and ya the tank requirement thing was why ive pushed it off so much but i got my whole tank set up for 400 with everything included so honestly it was a steal

OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 inch? Wow. Can it eat frozen brine or mysis, or is that too big? If not, you may have to crush up flake food. Or culture something.
ya in comparison to my entire tank he is very very small but gets along great with his other tank mates. until he gets bigger ill definitely have to figure something out but its worth the shot

Attachments

• C1B47DBC-7A7A-41E1-9975-32328D7C45C7.jpeg
    C1B47DBC-7A7A-41E1-9975-32328D7C45C7.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 60

Fasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for years in a 100 gal tank. He was around a foot long and he would eat anything including my fingers. I lost my tank in a hurricane we had here in Louisiana. I found that water quality and making sure he eats are the 2 most important things. I now have a six inch one in my reef tank. Water flow is minimal at the front of the tank and he hangs out there with my mag float cleaner.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 104 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back