Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Tank Build. I current have a Innovative Marine 10 gallon in my office and a 20 gallon storage tank at home with the remnants of a biocube 32. Long story short, started with the biocube 3 years ago, started up IM 10 gallon1.5 years since I work 6 days a week, moved resulting in the tear down of the biocube.

I've been wanting a large enough box of water to house somewhat larger fish responsibly and last October I placed an order for a custom build. I went with Crystal Dynamic Aquariums. I happened to be looking at the right time and took advantage of the promotion they were running during reefapalooza.

Tank
-180 gallon display
-60 long 30 deep and 24 tall
-Eurobraced starphire glass on the sides and front viewing panels.
-Armored seams
-ABS reinforced bottom
-18 modular marine external overflow

Stand
-Steel stand with magnetic wood skin for easy access to sump
-40 inches tall for nice viewing

Lighting
-2 Orphek Atlantik V4s. (If this is not enough light, will supplement with the 48in light bars that they offer) Main goal is a sheet of light with even distribution across the length of the tank.

Water movement
-Vectra M1return pump
-2 Mp40s for now. Will adjust if more flow is need but already planning on needing 2 MP10s on the back of the tank down the line.

Sump
-Trigger Systems Tideline 36 sump

Filtration
-7 in filter socks
-VidaRock Detox Blocks
-Pax Bellum Arid N24 Algae Reactor

Rockscape
-Minimal Bonsai structures. Really like the shapes an look of Vidarock. Aquatecure offers Ceramic reef structures. I do not have the eye for the minimal aquascape I have in mind. Instead, I stumbled upon Vidarock while looking for pre-made ceramic structures. I figure 2 will do the trick.

Plan on updating this as the build materializes. I have all the hardware ready to go. The hard part is waiting on the tank! Fortunately, the wait is going to allow me to build a proper salt water mixing station.

Goals for the tank will be mixed reef, but we will see what happens!

IMG_5648.jpg

OP
OP
Cesteban721

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish list (Not order of introduction)
-Purple Tang
-Yellow Tang or tangs
-Purple Filefish (maybe 3)
-School of Bangaii Cardinal Fish (5-7)
-Lyretail Anthias (3-5)
-Leopard Wrasse
- Some type of Blenny
- One stunning fish that I have not decided.

I am open to suggestions and tweaks on this list. I have not had a tank of this scale before but intend on introducing the peaceful schooling types first before the tang gang arrives.

The majority of my planned fish will be introduced prior to corals.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the tank yet? We placed an order in a similar timeline and am still waiting. They have a silicone supply chain issue.

Hope yours is on schedule or that you already have it!

OP
OP
Cesteban721

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the tank yet? We placed an order in a similar timeline and am still waiting. They have a silicone supply chain issue.

Hope yours is on schedule or that you already have it!
I have not. I am having them do all of the plumbing in addition to fabricating a hanging light system for the orpheks. The vision was to have the entire system be as "turn-key" as possible. I was told this could could add some additional time to the build. Thank you for sharing the silicone supply issue. I attributed the long wait to my overall request and number of builds they must have in line.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. I am having them do all of the plumbing in addition to fabricating a hanging light system for the orpheks. The vision was to have the entire system be as "turn-key" as possible. I was told this could could add some additional time to the build. Thank you for sharing the silicone supply issue. I attributed the long wait to my overall request and number of builds they must have in line.

Sounds good. I'd suggest possibly checking in so that you aren't surprised by the planned delivery date.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start!

What is the glass diameter? I’m assuming 3/4” which would rule out MP10s. Adding MP40s to the back made a huge difference on my 72x24” highly recommend adding them on the back long term!

OP
OP
Cesteban721

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start!

What is the glass diameter? I’m assuming 3/4” which would rule out MP10s. Adding MP40s to the back made a huge difference on my 72x24” highly recommend adding them on the back long term!
The long panels will be 1/2 and the ends will be 3/4. Thank you for the suggestion. Are you running your 40s at full power or do you have them set to one of the EcoTech preset programs?

OP
OP
Cesteban721

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first ship date was Jan 1, then Feb 1, now March 1. Hoping that things are on track for March 1. Zoya has been pretty responsive.

I hope yours is done and ready ship out on the 1st. I have not seen a ship date from them yet. Zoya has been very responsive and great to work with but I do not believe mine is on the production floor yet. Are you having them build a tank and stand combo or tank only?

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it will well worth the wait! I love mine that I’ve had for about a year. As mentioned Zoya is great to work with !!

Mine took about 3 1/2 months, but I love it and it was worth the wait to me!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope yours is done and ready ship out on the 1st. I have not seen a ship date from them yet. Zoya has been very responsive and great to work with but I do not believe mine is on the production floor yet. Are you having them build a tank and stand combo or tank only?

Just the tank. We built the steel stand. We did 1/2" front and back and I think 5/8" on the sides, eurobrace top and bottom, starboard base for barebottom, armored seams, steel frame top and bottom with epoxy paint.

We hoped to avoid a cross-brace and it sounded like we could at first but now we have been told that one is needed.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the tank. We built the steel stand. We did 1/2" front and back and I think 5/8" on the sides, eurobrace top and bottom, starboard base for barebottom, armored seams, steel frame top and bottom with epoxy paint.

We hoped to avoid a cross-brace and it sounded like we could at first but now we have been told that one is needed.

A cross brace isn't a big deal when it's made of glass. With orpheks, radions, or pretty much any newer light with good spread you won't even notice a difference.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cross brace isn't a big deal when it's made of glass. With orpheks, radions, or pretty much any newer light with good spread you won't even notice a difference.
Thanks! That is great insight. Plus I'd much rather have a little bit of light blockage than a bowing front/back pane. This tank is going to house a Panta Rhei 63 so looooots of flow.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long panels will be 1/2 and the ends will be 3/4. Thank you for the suggestion. Are you running your 40s at full power or do you have them set to one of the EcoTech preset programs?

I try to always run pumps below the maximum I suspect it will increase the longevity. Sides stay about 80% and back 65%. Alternate modes but mostly Reef Crest with a sprinkle of NTM

OP
OP
Cesteban721

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long update while since I've updated. Been a slow process to say the least, but with COVID it is to be expected. The folks at CDA have been very responsive and attentive to last minute changes. Here is a picture of the completed stand, tank, and plumbing. They are fabricating a light bar that will attach to the stand so I can hang the lights cleanly to the system. This is the last step and I hoping to have the tank soon. Been a long wait since the deposit was placed in October of 19 but it's finally almost over!
20200709_111757.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back