Planning out my new tank build

BioActive

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2023
Messages
17
Reaction score
29
Location
Victoria, British Columbia
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I haven’t posted in almost a year I think. Last year around this time I set up my 20 gallon water box, the tank is still running and it’s been through. It’s ups and downs lots of coral lost but my two clown fish are still alive and thriving. Knock on wood ha ha. I’ve been in the hobby for about 10 years on and off now I started off with a 32 gallon Biocube and I had that running for six years with the same pair of clown fish for six years and then I lost them and shut down that tank anyway I’ve recently been wanting to have a larger tank. I’ve always narrow down my failures to the stability of my systems and I think it’s time that I get a real reef going to supplement these issues. I have a couple choices in tank size. I know most will recommend me to get the biggest possible. The sizes I have in mind are a 48” x 24 x 24” a 60” x 24” x 24” or a 72” x 24 x 24”. I’m hoping to go for the 180 gallon. But I’m still pricing out the different sizes and what options I have I think I’m going to go in the custom direction since I want to have an external overflow and possibly a closed loop to save some money on powerheads. i’ve also decided that I’m going to make a minimal branching Aquascape from Marco rock then let it cure for a couple months while I make all the arrangements for the tank and while I’m on that topic, I’m very curious about other reefers experiences with Marco rock and the best ways to mature it quickly mainly to get Coraline algae growing.
 
I’m not sure I would recommend doing a closed loop to save money. To get one that is effective you need a substantial pump that has some controllability and they are pricey. They are also very static, you can’t just move the hole if you want flow coming from somewhere else. They can be effective but it’s only something I’d try to undertake if you have had multiple systems setup successfully and know exactly what you want.

If money is a concern for flow, there are a ton of low cost power heads that you can buy and if the flow patterns work you can upgrade to more reliable pumps as you see fit.
 
I agree with underwaterwonders. My 180 had a closed loop. You are stuck in a static pattern and I also supplemented with 2 MP40's anyway. I had 2 Ecotech L2's for the closed loop flow which are expensive. When I had my 220 built, I did not go with a closed loop and just added 2 more MP40's.
 
I’m not sure I would recommend doing a closed loop to save money. To get one that is effective you need a substantial pump that has some controllability and they are pricey. They are also very static, you can’t just move the hole if you want flow coming from somewhere else. They can be effective but it’s only something I’d try to undertake if you have had multiple systems setup successfully and know exactly what you want.

If money is a concern for flow, there are a ton of low cost power heads that you can buy and if the flow patterns work you can upgrade to more reliable pumps as you see fit.
I was thinking a simple loop just for some extra flow on the back glass using a vectra. I would still have two mp40s on the sides though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new