New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question about the usage of this new 2 part (would apply to previous 2 part as well). Is it possible to calculate the salinity increase based on the amount of 2 part dosed? In other words, how much tank water would need to be removed and replaced by RODI to offset a given volume of 2 part additions.

Dennis

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question about the usage of this new 2 part (would apply to previous 2 part as well). Is it possible to calculate the salinity increase based on the amount of 2 part dosed? In other words, how much tank water would need to be removed and replaced by RODI to offset a given volume of 2 part additions.

Dennis

Yes, but I've not done it for this recipe. It is somewhat higher than for my DIY using sodium bicarbonate/carbonate:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

After one year of adding 8 ppm of calcium and the accompanying 0.4 meq/L (1.1 dKH) of alkalinity per day (41 mL of both parts per day or 4 gallons of both parts per year in a 50-gallon aquarium, including the effect of the magnesium part #3A, 2440 mL/year), the following residue (Table 2) would remain after calcification and adjustment for salinity (there is roughly a 32% rise in salinity over a year using this addition rate without water changes).

FunkEngine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting around to implementing this recipe, and I have a compatibility question. My dosing containers, best I can tell, are acrylic (code 7, MA), which doing some looking seems to be listed as compatible at up to 50% or 60%, so I think it will be fine?

Do any of you guys use the bulkhead setup with the acrylic rod "straw" from BRS? Has the rod held up? That should give a good indication if acrylic is fine as well.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting around to implementing this recipe, and I have a compatibility question. My dosing containers, best I can tell, are acrylic (code 7, MA), which doing some looking seems to be listed as compatible at up to 50% or 60%, so I think it will be fine?

Do any of you guys use the bulkhead setup with the acrylic rod "straw" from BRS? Has the rod held up? That should give a good indication if acrylic is fine as well.

Acrylic should be fine. Polycarbonate is the common one to avoid.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to swap Red Sea Foundation B for the hydroxide recipe.
Does anybody happen to know either how much I'd need to increase/decrease my dose by or, how much stronger/weaker I'd need to mix the recipe at to match the Foundation B?
Thanks, and thanks to Randy/Jim for the recipes.

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to swap Red Sea Foundation B for the hydroxide recipe.
Does anybody happen to know either how much I'd need to increase/decrease my dose by or, how much stronger/weaker I'd need to mix the recipe at to match the Foundation B?
Thanks, and thanks to Randy/Jim for the recipes.
84gr bicarb = 53gr carb = 40gr sodium hydroxide [emoji4].

If you make a stock solution of 1 liter. it contains 2800 kH. So if you need a stocksolution which contains 10.000 kH per liter.. you need per liter stock 143 gr sodium hydroxide. I do not know what Red Sea contains by heart..

update.. just checked the liquid stuff: 1 ml per 100L = + 0,1 kH… so 1 ml per 1L = +10kH.. +1 kH = 1 / 10 = 0,1 ml. If 0,1 ml +1 kH then 1000ml = 1000 / 0,1 = 10.000 kH... so there is your answer. The powdered stuff is plain sodiumbicarbonate.. I do not know if you made your stock with the liquid or powdered stuff.. as the liquid is more potent than achievable with sodiumbicarbonate.. (liquid contains probably 188,7gr sodiumcarbonate)

Last edited:

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has really done a great job raising the ph in my tank. It has gone from a daily swing of 7.8 -8.0 to 8.0- 8.2 , and I am only dosing 50ml of each daily.

Is it possible to add trace elements to this recipe? I saw a video on youtube where there was a recipe for adding Fauna Marin trace elements to BRS two part. Thanks a bunch Randy.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has really done a great job raising the ph in my tank. It has gone from a daily swing of 7.8 -8.0 to 8.0- 8.2 , and I am only dosing 50ml of each daily.

Is it possible to add trace elements to this recipe? I saw a video on youtube where there was a recipe for adding Fauna Marin trace elements to BRS two part. Thanks a bunch Randy.

I've been thinking about this as well. Even considered using ati essentials part 2 and part 3 with the high ph alkalinity portion here. The alkalinity part of this recipe has been great at keeping my ph between 8.1 and 8.3!

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is possible, I added (also consulted randy for this);
kH+ : ammonium monovandate (V) sodiumfluoride (F), sodium tetraborate decahydrate (B), sodium molybdate (Mo), potassium iodide (I).
Ca+ : strontiumchloride hexahydrate (Sr), potassiumchloride(K).

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas why my manual daily dose of baked sodium bicarbonate (sodium carbonate) isn't raising the alk in my tank?

Tank volume after displacement 40L
Stock solution using baked bicarbonate (sodium carbonate) measured from 156g and then baked. Mixed into 1L rodi water. Using the dosing calc I'm led to believe to raise from current 6.1dKH to hit 7.5dKH I need 10.5ml
a3c02d02e80f149f81e4ff1f148fb366.png

So for the last 2 days I've been Dosin 7ml/day (as to account for not raising ph too high too fast. However dKH has held at 6.1dKH.....

I'm not measuring ph as I've not got a ph tester, is it best i begin to dose unbaked bicarbonate as this doesn't raise the ph?

Thanks.

A.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to measure pH or switch to the bicarb....your pH is just fine, and the carbonate won't raise it to unacceptable levels unless you grossly overdose.

I'd suggest measuring your alk, calculate amount needed to raise to your target number, and now add that volume, wait five minutes or so, and measure to see if you've achieve the number you want.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to measure pH or switch to the bicarb....your pH is just fine, and the carbonate won't raise it to unacceptable levels unless you grossly overdose.

I'd suggest measuring your alk, calculate amount needed to raise to your target number, and now add that volume, wait five minutes or so, and measure to see if you've achieve the number you want.

So although dosing the recommended amount for my tank volume up by 1dKH per daily max, I'm confused why it's not going up?
Are you saying my ph isn't rising even though I'm dosing sodium carbonate (baked bicarbonate)?
Again, I've not got a testing kit so currently blind to ph readings?
My mag level is 1330, cal 390 (I plan to raise this to 420ppm).

Thanks.

A.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH impact of bicarb versus carbonate is oh so slight. We're talking a tenth of so....that's it.

What corals/clams do you have? Your tank might be consuming a dKH per day...or more. That's why I'm suggesting to measure, dose, and a couple minutes later test again to see if you've gotten the expected boost in alk.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH impact of bicarb versus carbonate is oh so slight. We're talking a tenth of so....that's it.

What corals/clams do you have? Your tank might be consuming a dKH per day...or more. That's why I'm suggesting to measure, dose, and a couple minutes later test again to see if you've gotten the expected boost in alk.

Wow, I'm led to believe carbonate raises ph substantially in comparison to bicarbonate!!! Going by comments and the calculator shown above in notes.

I've got mainly LPS corals, just 7 in my nano tank. Along with 3 clams, maxima (1") Crocea (2-3") & Derasa (3-4").

So I should not worry about dosing 7ml in my 40l water volume nano although that's the maximum daily recommended amount up to 1dKH?
I should just dose that amount and check after 5 minutes to see if it's raised, in case the livestock are using it up as daily consumption?

Thanks,

A.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! I see the light......I mean the clams. Clams are alk suckers. Your alk is readily being consumed by your three clams.....start dosing!

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! I see the light......I mean the clams. Clams are alk suckers. Your alk is readily being consumed by your three clams.....start dosing!

I've just began dosing, just began to get levels up and now as I've added the Crocea and Derasa only recently I cannot get the alk up....

Suggestions?

Thanks,

A.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you need to do is first get your alk where you want it to be by testing and using a dose calculator. Now wait a day and test again (at about the same time as yesterday.) Again, use the dose calculator again, and you've now determined your daily dose to maintain your desired dose. Start adding, and test to make fine adjustments.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what has happened, however if 7ml/day takes my tank supposedly up by 1dKH, then what is happening to ph in the mean time?

I should up the dosage of alk to 10ml/day? It's the thought of spiking the ph as I'm using carbonate that's preventing me upping my current dosage amount...

A

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm led to believe carbonate raises ph substantially in comparison to bicarbonate!!! Going by comments and the calculator shown above in notes......

Just to be clear, you are mixing up just sodium carbonate, and not the "new" alk that includes sodium hydroxide.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back