New Duncan purchase, a few questions...

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a beauty (always lucky in my case) 13 head Duncan at my LFS today, big Black Friday sale. 60 bucks pretty good price point imo Canadian dollar wise? ....
I understand these are on the easier spectrum of care...
I have moderate lighting, Two T5's 90 gallon, supplemented with the latest Fluval LED Programmable 4 ft.
Thinking middle of tank, moderate flow there. I'd love to put this fella in the sand but too far from lighting would think..
What do you all feed them? I've heard everything from Cyclops to reefroids....and how often? I have Kenya Trees, Mushrooms, Gorgonian, and Leathers that I dose every 3 or 4 days with the roids. All good that way....
And also EDIT. My Kenyas and Shrooms have always thrived under lower salinity for some reason. I am now in the 1.021 area. Should I bump it slightly?

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed flake twice a day for the fish and my duncans always get some! ;)

DSC_0004 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0004 (1024x683).jpg

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a beauty (always lucky in my case) 13 head Duncan at my LFS today, big Black Friday sale. 60 bucks pretty good price point imo Canadian dollar wise? ....
I understand these are on the easier spectrum of care...
I have moderate lighting, Two T5's 90 gallon, supplemented with the latest Fluval LED Programmable 4 ft.
Thinking middle of tank, moderate flow there. I'd love to put this fella in the sand but too far from lighting would think..
What do you all feed them? I've heard everything from Cyclops to reefroids....and how often? I have Kenya Trees, Mushrooms, Gorgonian, and Leathers that I dose every 3 or 4 days with the roids. All good that way....
And also EDIT. My Kenyas and Shrooms have always thrived under lower salinity for some reason. I am now in the 1.021 area. Should I bump it slightly?
Man I feed every other day with reef roids,(or anything I have on hand cause Duncan’s eat anything), and they grow like crazy, my duncan is in a super low light/low flow area of my tank and they are still THRIVING. Great deal though, 60 bucks for 13 heads is a steal!

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pick up, I love duncans. Mine like any food. I use mysis, lps pellets, and fish pellets to feed them. I think they like the larger foods. Lighting is definitely on the low end and flow is kinda what ever u want.

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using hydrometer or refract also i would bump that salinity up a bit mine is at 1.024 and do feedings once a week for them (also hydroms read lower than the real salinity)

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using hydrometer or refract also i would bump that salinity up a bit mine is at 1.024 and do feedings once a week for them (also hydroms read lower than the real salinity)
Hydrometer. Brought mine in to compare with stores refractometer and it was right in line. I will gradually bump it over next few weeks and see how everything reacts. Thanks much.
Have you calibrated your refractometer lately?
I also get great entertainment feeding my coral. Especially Duncan and Acan. Mysis mostly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes. Moderate light and water flow, feed 2-3x per week and
Temp 77-79
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1 - 8.3

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I feed every other day with reef roids,(or anything I have on hand cause Duncan’s eat anything), and they grow like crazy, my duncan is in a super low light/low flow area of my tank and they are still THRIVING. Great deal though, 60 bucks for 13 heads is a steal!
I thought so as well! 30% off livestock yesterday, usually they go around 15 bucks a head ( Canadian) here. They had one with 3 at 25 bucks and of course I didnt wanna spend too much but jumped for the larger anyway. Also a smaller 2 head Leather for 15 bucks so what the hay....this guy is a small family run shop just outside downtown Toronto, and he always has good stuff. Trustworthy and my main go to....

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so as well! 30% off livestock yesterday, usually they go around 15 bucks a head ( Canadian) here. They had one with 3 at 25 bucks and of course I didnt wanna spend too much but jumped for the larger anyway. Also a smaller 2 head Leather for 15 bucks so what the hay....this guy is a small family run shop just outside downtown Toronto, and he always has good stuff. Trustworthy and my main go to....
Smaller shops are always gonna be better than large venders

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gradually bumping and up to almost 1.023 this eve . My Kenya's ( weeds that I love), and mushrooms are plenty perturbed with me but my Long Tentacle seems to be living the high life more than last while... nicely inflated.
20201130_192850.jpg
20201130_192918.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back