New eel injured…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Got a snowflake eel today. I just finished floating him and then opened the bad and put him in a bucket for acclimation. Noticed he has injuries right away. Anyone who can help? He doesnt seem too stressed and they dont look infected to me.

@Slocke @lion king @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

IMG_2685.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys. Got a snowflake eel today. I just finished floating him and then opened the bad and put him in a bucket for acclimation. Noticed he has injuries right away. Anyone who can help? He doesnt seem too stressed and they dont look infected to me.

@Slocke @lion king @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

IMG_2685.jpeg
Assuming it’s acclimated well, allow to settle in
I’m confused if this is a new injury or arrived with it before release?
As this specimen will need good water quality, assure it’s the case and it can be safely treated with general cure and add aeration with airstone

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it’s acclimated well, allow to settle in
I’m confused if this is a new injury or arrived with it before release?
As this specimen will need good water quality, assure it’s the case and it can be safely treated with general cure and add aeration with airstone
So I just floated him and then opened the bag to transfer him to the bucket to begin drip acclimation and then put a light on him to inspect him and saw these. So I dont know when he got them as he is fresh out of the shipping bag

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if older then you don’t have to worry obviously though those scars look very unnatural. Like they were done by a knife?? Are there scars on the other side? Like it was bitten.

On the other hand it looks to be a healthy weight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I just floated him and then opened the bag to transfer him to the bucket to begin drip acclimation and then put a light on him to inspect him and saw these. So I dont know when he got them as he is fresh out of the shipping bag
May be netting damage/scars which is not unusual

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if older then you don’t have to worry obviously though those scars look very unnatural. Like they were done by a knife?? Are there scars on the other side? Like it was bitten.

On the other hand it looks to be a healthy weight.
Right I was like what the F when I saw them! Poor guy. I do love rescue cases so he fits perfectly with my tank but I just was like what happened to you dude??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like an older injury to me. I don't see any sign of inflammation, and the lesions look superficial. I would let the shipper know that it arrived in this condition and ask them what they think.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like an older injury to me. I don't see any sign of inflammation, and the lesions look superficial. I would let the shipper know that it arrived in this condition and ask them what they think.

Jay
The shipper just said to keep them updated. He has settled in and is peeking out now so thats good.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look concerning, eels are very resilient to injuries such as this, just keep water quality optimum.
Okay cool! Thank you. I was just like what the heck when I opened the bag and saw them!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be adapting well, the jeweled is a little mad he curled up in his cave but hasnt been aggressive other than shoving himself under the rock too, so they are sharing right now which is a little weird considering the amount of other hideouts in the tank lol

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New eel is doing well! I think it might be a she actually, her and the jeweled have been curled around each other in the cave for a while now. Just seems like a weird behavior for two male eels based on what Ive read but I could be wrong. But if it is a male and female I dont have to worry about some weird mismatched baby eels right? From what Ive read they are impossible to tank breed I just wanted to make sure

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update. My Jeweled eel seems to really like her from what I can tell. They are sharing the same cave. Its like the jeweled wraps around her body and sticks his hear out while she peeks slightly from behind him. Bad pictures but it looks like this! Just wondering if Im interpreting this wrong and it is actually aggression? @lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression will likely be territorial disputes, so them being in the same cave, likely not. The jeweled may be showing dominance which would be normal, just keep an eye as they mature.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression will likely be territorial disputes, so them being in the same cave, likely not. The jeweled may be showing dominance which would be normal, just keep an eye as they mature.
Cool will do! She is peeking now!

Attachments

• IMG_2708.jpeg
    IMG_2708.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is doing very well! Shes ate a sliverside and a large piece of shrimp so far. Decided she wanted to try being a normal eel and poke her head out! I did notice she is missing a nostril. Cant get a good picture but the yellow part that makes their nose stick out is just gone on one side. Not sure what she went through but it wasnt good. She seems to be doing way better and no sign of infection when Im able to see her cuts with a light

Attachments

• IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back