new euphyllia heads

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when branching euphyllia grow new heads, does the existing head split down the middle into 2 heads or does it grow new heads from the skeleton

I believe it splits. a couple of mine are developing a second mouth, are elongating and no longer circular. I think it then pinches in at the middle as it grows and forms 2 separate heads

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen torches do it, but some hammer and frogspawn grow small new heads off the sides of the stalk. For the most part, these little guys get shaded out by the larger heads and don't make it to be new full size heads. My take on it is that if something happens to the larger heads and they die then there are smaller ones waiting to grow and take over like an insurance policy for the corals survival.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it splits. a couple of mine are developing a second mouth, are elongating and no longer circular. I think it then pinches in at the middle as it grows and forms 2 separate heads
I see the same thing with my hammers.

I also have a torch where one of the heads is pinching in on two sides looking like it's going to split into 3

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen torches do it, but some hammer and frogspawn grow small new heads off the sides of the stalk. For the most part, these little guys get shaded out by the larger heads and don't make it to be new full size heads. My take on it is that if something happens to the larger heads and they die then there are smaller ones waiting to grow and take over like an insurance policy for the corals survival.

actually I just remembered one of my torches had a small head that grew from the side. but like you said it was shaded and has since died off.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and frogspawn will do both, they will split as well as have little baby heads grow off of the sides of the skeleton. I have not seen torches do this

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back