New fish behaviors in larger tanks

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I upgraded from a 125 to a 250 a bit over 6 months ago. Since then I’ve been fascinated by the changes I seen in my fish. I’ve watched some develop strict territories, my tangs dash and show off much more, my male anthias does lots of crazy acrobatics to herd the ladies, and unfortunately… my wrasse have started jumping much more frequently.

all in all it’s been absolute pleasure to watch and I wanted to see if there were any other cool behaviors people noticed when they gave their animals some extra space.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from 400 to 560 to 750g in about 18 months. Moving to the 560 the rock work became more open, the tank also went from a rockstructure wall to peninsula style with 10' swim lengths down both sides. Since moving to the 560g there has been no issues between the tangs - 3 Yellows, 3 Purples, 6 Hippos, Gem, Sailfin and Achilles.

Where before there was some bickering between the purples - they are all mellow as can be. None of the tangs have a territory.

There are about 30+ damsels in the tank and they have all settled out territories. But they are model citizens.

The back wall has assesors hanging out upside down in a group and the frimandis spend quite a bit of time with them.

By having more space the overall chaos of the tank has calmed down quite a bit.

There are over 100 fish in the 750g so far - it's only been up and running for 4 months.

Dave B

OP
OP
Pankney72

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from 400 to 560 to 750g in about 18 months. Moving to the 560 the rock work became more open, the tank also went from a rockstructure wall to peninsula style with 10' swim lengths down both sides. Since moving to the 560g there has been no issues between the tangs - 3 Yellows, 3 Purples, 6 Hippos, Gem, Sailfin and Achilles.

Where before there was some bickering between the purples - they are all mellow as can be. None of the tangs have a territory.

There are about 30+ damsels in the tank and they have all settled out territories. But they are model citizens.

The back wall has assesors hanging out upside down in a group and the frimandis spend quite a bit of time with them.

By having more space the overall chaos of the tank has calmed down quite a bit.

There are over 100 fish in the 750g so far - it's only been up and running for 4 months.

Dave B
That’s incredible. Next major paybump I’ll probably be upgrading again too. I’ve got ambitions for keeping a few harems of some of the more cantankerous fairy wrasse… maybe when I hit that 750 mark it’ll be time.

Back