New Fish/Coral/Invert Ideas please?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I am looking to add a new fish or maybe invert to my tank. Probably coral as well. I have a 20g tank with 2 clowns in ir currently. Its been running for about 6 months now. Check out my build thread for more info <---
So I'd like to complete my tank fish-wise. Ive been told damselfish, like the yellow tailed damsel, make great tankmates with clowns because they can stand their ground. I also really like blennies, such as the bicolor or the tailspot blenny. Gobies I like, I just cant seem to find the one, plus I'm not sure I want to add a pistol shrimp to the tank, but id feel bad for the fish if he didnt have one.
Now my dream fish is a mandarin dragonet, but we all know that doesnt really work in a 20g.
Here is a list of the fish I may want to add.
Damsels
- Yellow tail
- Azure
- Jewel
Blennies
-Bicolor
- Tailspot
-Lawnmower
Gobies
-Spotted Watchman Goby, not YWG
Tell me any other fish you think are good to add.
Then theres inverts. Id like to add a BTA, but Im afraid it will sting the corals I already have when it walks around initially.
Ive thought about fan worms, they look pretty and add something to the tank, but im assuming those need to be target fed.
SO yeah those are my thoughts, o hope to hear youre thoughts on this. Thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a trio of the azure damsels (in a much bigger tank), and could hardly ask for better fish - then again, they're in a bigger tank, and have each other to bounce off of. They certainly do provide a color palate that's bright and in contrast to the clowns! I've found the Talbot's damsel to be a bit more aggressive / territorial. Jewel damsels, you might find, get bigger, crankier, and less pleasant than you'd like.

I think a lawnmower blenny might be a bit large for a 20g, but the tailspot might just fit that bill ... colorful in their way, and comical - another of similar size range would be a linear blenny, Ecsenius lineatus.

Another goby you might look at are the little Trimma gobies, which are starting to show up as captive-bred specimens. I've got one (maybe two, but never see both at the same time...) in my tank - keeps to himself, stays on the sand or rocks, is tiny and bright red & white.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a trio of the azure damsels (in a much bigger tank), and could hardly ask for better fish - then again, they're in a bigger tank, and have each other to bounce off of. They certainly do provide a color palate that's bright and in contrast to the clowns! I've found the Talbot's damsel to be a bit more aggressive / territorial. Jewel damsels, you might find, get bigger, crankier, and less pleasant than you'd like.

I think a lawnmower blenny might be a bit large for a 20g, but the tailspot might just fit that bill ... colorful in their way, and comical - another of similar size range would be a linear blenny, Ecsenius lineatus.

Another goby you might look at are the little Trimma gobies, which are starting to show up as captive-bred specimens. I've got one (maybe two, but never see both at the same time...) in my tank - keeps to himself, stays on the sand or rocks, is tiny and bright red & white.

~Bruce
Thanks for the advice. I think im going to go with either a small damsel, a tailspot or bicolor blenny, watchman goby of any sort, and that trimma goby acc looks really cool. What do you think about a six line wrasse for my 20g?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't ... Wrasses in general like to move, and sixlines (which I've had little personal experience with) have a reputation for being a bit ... mentally unstable.

A possum wrasse (Wetmorella spp.) or pink-streaked wrasse might be a more appropriate choice, though they can be reclusive from what I've heard.

~B.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve got a 20 g, is yours a long style or more of a lagoon/cube shape? Makes a difference!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't ... Wrasses in general like to move, and sixlines (which I've had little personal experience with) have a reputation for being a bit ... mentally unstable.

A possum wrasse (Wetmorella spp.) or pink-streaked wrasse might be a more appropriate choice, though they can be reclusive from what I've heard.

~B.
Id love a possum wrasse its just theyre hard to find around here in Canada. I would order one from LiveAquaria but it ships from Cali, so its a long shippement plus theres a likeliness it will arrive/ship later. If i find one at my LFS tho im definetly buying it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back