New Fish dead

DMan0986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank with two fire-fish gobies and some corals that are still alive and well in the tank. However, recently I tried to add two fish (a blue green chromis and a tribal blenny) and some peppermint shrimp at separate times but the fish die within 3 or 4 days but the shrimp still live and I don't know why the fish are dying. I have tested the water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, and salinity and nothing is wrong in that sense. I am afraid to add another fish if they are going to keep dying.

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you acclimating the fish and inverts properly/for long enough?

OP
OP
D

DMan0986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do they look like they were attacked? were they gasping for air at the surface of the tank? and how long has your tank been setup
The tank has been set up for about a year and no they weren't attacked, they were fine up until they died. The blenny was biting his tail every so often but the chromis was showing no signs of distress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How are you introducing the fish? What is salinity of tank water VS bag water ?
Tank temp and PH ?
What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
D

DMan0986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you acclimating the fish and inverts properly/for long enough?
I believe so, I add a half a cup of my tank water every 4 minuets for about an hour and dumping water out when it gets full. The shrimp I added the same time as the blenny and they are fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe so, I add a half a cup of my tank water every 4 minuets for about an hour and dumping water out when it gets full. The shrimp I added the same time as the blenny and they are fine.
Not far off. Float bag for 15 mins then I cup of water every 15 mins for 1-1.2 hrs and pour off water and release fish. I release fish into clean bucket and add water rather than using the bag

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the new fish ever eating in the tank? Just wondering if they exhibited healthy behavior at some point before they died? Where'd you get them?

OP
OP
D

DMan0986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the new fish ever eating in the tank? Just wondering if they exhibited healthy behavior at some point before they died? Where'd you get them?
Yes they ate but not as much as the other two

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No they weren't quarantined, I got them all from the same local shop I get all my fish from.
I would talk to the shop. asking. do you treat our fish, with what etc. how long do you keep your fish before selling

Coral Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to the shop. asking. do you treat our fish, with what etc. how long do you keep your fish before selling
i have a LFS nesrby which i dont trust with fish. (multiple ich issues in SW) but their deals are astonishing. a tank (2500$) the red sea max 250. FOR 500 BUCKS!!! Point is is not all LFS are that good and some also just make a mistake. i also dont always reccomend getting new fish but rather fish that survived for about a week + without any signs of illness.

Back