New fish die in 24 hours

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried adding new fish a few times this year. Every time they die in less than 24 hours.

The existing fish are still fine. What could cause perfectly healthy fish to die in 24 hours when introduced to a new tank?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried adding new fish a few times this year. Every time they die in less than 24 hours.

The existing fish are still fine. What could cause perfectly healthy fish to die in 24 hours when introduced to a new tank?

What fish are on the tank now and wish one is the ones you're adding?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but I would test the salinity of your source fish, and then compare it to the salinity of your home tank.

Sometimes that is the entire value of using a QT / Observation tank, in that you can slowly raise the salinity if your new fish are coming from significantly lower salinity. Fish are able to handle rapid drops in salinity (such as a fresh water bath) but going up in salinity needs to be done very slowly, or can over stress the fish.

Many vendors keep their tanks at a level such as 1.016, so the jump to a reef tank (usually 1.026) is very hard on a fish.

Just a thought...

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you sure they were healthy?

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are on the tank now and wish one is the ones you're adding?

Currently
2 clowns
2 pajama cardinals
Royal gramma

In the past year have lost
3 chromis
2 filefish
Anthia
Mandarin goby
I think there are some more but can't remember

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've come from multiple sources
That doesn’t say they were healthy. What was salinity? What is your acclimation process? Did you do any QT or observation time before adding them?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are fish bagged before opening and what do you do to acclimate?

I would wonder about ammonia burning gills if they are in the bags for any length of time.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just floated them for about 30 minutes then added them to the tank. It's a mixed reef tank. I have nowhere to setup a QT currently.

These have either been fish that were shipped or came from a store an hour away.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not saying this is your problem but I would do a drip with your water and the source water so that the fish can acclimate even more. Floating the bag will help with temp but not the other parameters of your system. This may not be the problem but just trying to help.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying this is your problem but I would do a drip with your water and the source water so that the fish can acclimate even more. Floating the bag will help with temp but not the other parameters of your system. This may not be the problem but just trying to help.
How long should I drip?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long should I drip?
I would do a drip long enough to where your water is the majority in the container. THe way I do it i use a bucket after the 30 minute float. I pour 25% of fish store water to where it covers dorsal fins and then I start my tank water going in every 10 minutes increasing the amount. When I see my water has saturated LFS and everyone is still living I dim tank lights and pop them in. Make sure temp is same as tank.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. I have always read that you don't have to drip acclimate fish but I do it even with my freshwater (though admittedly not as long as the salt.)

I float bag for 30 minutes and then put them in my acclimation bucket. I drip for an hour while removing a cup of water every 15 minutes.

As far as the clown fish go, you could try an in tank acclimation or breeding box to keep the new fish and see how the clowns react.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store is replacing this last drop. I'll drip this one and see how it goes. Might release in a breeder box so I can watch for some time

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you answered but do you check your salinity? I had a tank creep up and even with drip it was too much of a change. The fish you have may have been slowly adjusted to the overly high salinity. Just a thought since I did not see your parameters. Just trying to help

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you answered but do you check your salinity? I had a tank creep up and even with drip it was too much of a change. The fish you have may have been slowly adjusted to the overly high salinity. Just a thought since I did not see your parameters. Just trying to help
Was 1.026 when I checked just a few days ago. Been there for 2 years.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back