New fish die within hours

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish eats at the LFS the. It’s not the fish selection either (yes they can carry diseases but eati mg fish won’t die in just a few hours from a disease). As arule now , I never buy a fish without first seeing them eat. Good lfs will be happy to show that they eat.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then, we are dealing with an acutely toxic something that is in your tank. (Especially if inverts and mollies die). Have a separate bucket ready with freshly mixed water and move them there if they look bad in your tank. Better yet we need to figure out why that’s the case.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated cycling science can predict a pic before it’s posted

just saw this clue in post #1
'Dosed 2ppm ammonia and all levels go to zero in less than 24 hours (except nitrates)'

given the time underwater known for the tank, and that charted motion there is at minimum all required surface area for the reef and it’s either rocks, sand or both. If this is a quarantine tank then the sufficient surface area will be HOB or sponge filter, either way surface area is doing this stated job.

You can’t have that movement without surface area. that movement means ammonia will always trend to safe levels, it can't just hover later on. no cycling chart rises back up for its ammonia line.

cycling bac dosed into a pitcher of clean saltwater can reduce some ammonia, but not that much and that thorough, implied is the active surface area pics will show.

Last edited:

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many have said, photos of the tank would help rule a lot of things out & possibly raise some potential leads.

Only things I haven't seen mentioned are metals & electric current. It's a Biocube, so there really shouldn't be any metal connectors, but a faulty heater, magnet, or something else, could be leaching into the water.

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad and sorry for loss, following since I’m in the process of cycling my first saltwater tank.
Best of luck and don’t give up, is a learning lesson.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many have said, photos of the tank would help rule a lot of things out & possibly raise some potential leads.

Only things I haven't seen mentioned are metals & electric current. It's a Biocube, so there really shouldn't be any metal connectors, but a faulty heater, magnet, or something else, could be leaching into the water.
I came back to say this ^. When it comes to water toxicity there could be something malfunctioning or leeching from equipment. Would you mind listing the types of equip you have that is submerged in water? Power heads, frag plugs, pump etc etc. Brand will help as well. This is a head scratcher I'd love to have figured out for you.

At the very least I know how demoralizing and sad it can make you watching fish die which you at the time can only think is caused by your hand.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any insense/candles/sprays (fabreeze), etc used around the house?

Two hour acclimation is way too long imo. I try to keep it 30 min max, sometimes I don't acclimate at all. If salinity is way off I have some mixed up saltwater ready to go and add some RO and match and get them in new water then slowly acclimate from there.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any insense/candles/sprays (fabreeze), etc used around the house?

Two hour acclimation is way too long imo. I try to keep it 30 min max. If salinity is way off I have some mixed up saltwater ready to go and add some RO and match and get them in new water then slowly acclimate from there.
Yes this is something I forgot! Even glade plug ins! My gf uses the oil based ones and I was noticing a film on the surface of my water. Cleared up when I put 2 and 2 together and moved the glade plug in.

Aerosols and even being by windows can cause pesticides and other unwanted chemicals additives to end up in your water.

Good thinking there!

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. What should I feed the bacteria during those week? Thanks in advance
1. Are you using tap water.
2. Run some carbon
3. Stop dosing ammonia, wait a few days for a fish, then don't dose anymore ammonia.
4. Another reason is a chemical may have gotten into your water, which is why I say run carbon. It should pull it out.
5. Buy Instant Ocean BioSpira for an instant cycle. You can add fish immediately after adding this product. If you want to restart.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using drtim's ammonia bottle. The thing is that I didn't dose the tank those days and the test kits gave me zero ammonia and nitrite before adding the fish. I'm scare of adding more fish. Hate seeing die on me. I'm completely lost here.

What test kit out of curiosity ?

OP
OP
C

Clemsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater noob here and following this thread. I am currently cycling my tank(s). Sorry about your losses.

Have you considered using Seachem Prime? In addition to neutralizing Chlorine and Chloramine, I believe it binds Ammonia rendering it harmless ... at least in the short run. This way at least you can rule out ammonia as being the cause.
I haven't used it yet but bought it yesterday. Should arrive by tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

Clemsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in agreement with adding some inverts. That will be the first step in seeing if it is a water quality issue or disease issue. They will also help keep your cycle going before you add more fish and help slowly increase your bio load.
If I get inverts what should I feed them?

OP
OP
C

Clemsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back to say this ^. When it comes to water toxicity there could be something malfunctioning or leeching from equipment. Would you mind listing the types of equip you have that is submerged in water? Power heads, frag plugs, pump etc etc. Brand will help as well. This is a head scratcher I'd love to have figured out for you.

At the very least I know how demoralizing and sad it can make you watching fish die which you at the time can only think is caused by your hand.
Starting from the right to the left of the tank I have a small protein skimmer that came and hangs from the tank, two sponges with a filter pad on top (water fall on top of the sponges), media bag,seachem purigen, heater and pump. All separated by compartments. Powerhead unit inside were the fish were supposed to live.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the tank from cell phone

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back