New fish die within hours

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still thinking the tank is fine, but adding inverts will tell you for sure, and is a heck of a lot cheaper then fish.

Describe your acclimation process.

OP
OP
C

Clemsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still thinking the tank is fine, but adding inverts will tell you for sure, and is a heck of a lot cheaper then fish.

Describe your acclimation process.
I'll add some inverts as soon as I can. I float the bag for about 15 minutes in the tank and then put it inside a bucket. Use slow drip acclimation. After bag is about half way remove some water and continue acclimating until is half. Repeat that a few times for about hour and half or 2 hours. People have told me that I take too long.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the salinity is the same, plop and drop.

Meaning float the bag to equalize temp, then just open the bag and drop the fish in(leaving the LFS water in the bag). I like to use a little colander instead of a net for this.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI make sure the water is always to the top of the heater (it has a min line). I had that same heater and when my cat pulled it out of the water... it looked fine and melted the carpet where they left it.... but later cracked right open which I am sure is because it ran dry for awhile and got compromised. It shocked the **** out of me too. Literally flipped the GFCI. I was using it to mix water and was standing in some water on the floor bare foot so you know... perfect storm... thanks bathroom GCFI for saving my butt.

My heaters/equipment is now zip tied down so brat cats cant pull them out.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard this really mentioned yet but when you first got your tank did you clean the inside glass out with windex or any similar products ? or clean your outside glass with windex now that you have water in it ?

This could also be a potential for the issue....... since nobody has really solved this mystery ill throw my guess in the ring. Colonel Mustard with the Windex in the biocube !

Jokes aside I hope we figure this out soon for you as fish loss is brutal and the worst part of the hobby

good luck

OP
OP
C

Clemsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI make sure the water is always to the top of the heater (it has a min line). I had that same heater and when my cat pulled it out of the water... it looked fine and melted the carpet where they left it.... but later cracked right open which I am sure is because it ran dry for awhile and got compromised. It shocked the **** out of me too. Literally flipped the GFCI. I was using it to mix water and was standing in some water on the floor bare foot so you know... perfect storm... thanks bathroom GCFI for saving my butt.

My heaters/equipment is now zip tied down so brat cats cant pull them out.
dang! I moved it to the middle chamber. Will add more water

OP
OP
C

Clemsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard this really mentioned yet but when you first got your tank did you clean the inside glass out with windex or any similar products ? or clean your outside glass with windex now that you have water in it ?

This could also be a potential for the issue....... since nobody has really solved this mystery ill throw my guess in the ring. Colonel Mustard with the Windex in the biocube !

Jokes aside I hope we figure this out soon for you as fish loss is brutal and the worst part of the hobby

good luck
Not inside but I use windex outside. I spray the paper towel instead of the glass

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other then expensive high end corals my acclimation is the same for everything I put in my tank I have one of my wife’s hair clips I open the bag and put it in with the open end sticking out and clip it to the tank and then I use my Turkey baster and put a squirt in the bag every five minutes for about a half hour after that I put the fish or coral in the tank either with a net or by hand and never add any of the lfs water to my tank

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not inside but I use windex outside. I spray the paper towel instead of the glass
Never use windex it has high amounts of ammonia even if you spray it on the towel just use your lain water I’ve been doing it with water for years and it works fine wet it wipe it down then dry it

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think we found our culprit. Never use any commercial cleaning products on the inside or outside of the aquarium. The only thing I would recommend cleaning anything with is white vinegar if needed to get mineral deposits off, and then still be careful to not get it in the tank.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well stop using windex right away that is very toxic don't even use it in the same room . This could be potentially a cause for the deaths. I clean my glass just with paper towels nothing on them if I want sometimes ill use spit LOL ( not suggested and not for everyone ) Its from my days playing hockey using spit to clean my visor its gross but it works . ALso non toxic :)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No children. If nothing else works I will do just that. Start from zero.
If it were me, that is what I would do. You don't know what toxin or disease might be in the tank at this point. Ditch the ammonia, use a bacteria starter such as the Seachem (it's cheap) and a pinch of fish food every day. Just wait until two or three weeks have gone by. Then test the water and have it retested at the LFS. Start out with a $10 fish before you buy clowns. Go slow! Everything in this hobby takes time and patience to do correctly.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, that is what I would do. You don't know what toxin or disease might be in the tank at this point. Ditch the ammonia, use a bacteria starter such as the Seachem (it's cheap) and a pinch of fish food every day. Just wait until two or three weeks have gone by. Then test the water and have it retested at the LFS. Start out with a $10 fish before you buy clowns. Go slow! Everything in this hobby takes time and patience to do correctly.
When the OP is ready to try a fish again, there’s no reason to not buy a clown again for the first fish. Silly in my opinion to change up your stocking plan by putting the cheapest fish you can find in there, especially if it’s something like a damsel that has a high likelihood of being a jerk to its other tank mates down the road. Clowns are extremely hardy, and a regular ocellaris shouldn’t cost more than $15 or so…

That said, I’d recommend going with one to start with. You can always add a 2nd after a week or so if the first one is doing well.

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ICP test. Stop experimenting with live animals.
Not to sure anyone here experimented with fish, Having lack of knowledge and lack of what is what happened, Lets not sling slugs at anyone here but the OP already made it clear they had a test kit, also posted the results of the test kit.

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming that a low water level will not trigger the thermostat and if the tube doesn’t break it could cook the fish and/or the cycle which would explain the symptoms. Just a punt.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the OP is ready to try a fish again, there’s no reason to not buy a clown again for the first fish. Silly in my opinion to change up your stocking plan by putting the cheapest fish you can find in there, especially if it’s something like a damsel that has a high likelihood of being a jerk to its other tank mates down the road. Clowns are extremely hardy, and a regular ocellaris shouldn’t cost more than $15 or so…

That said, I’d recommend going with one to start with. You can always add a 2nd after a week or so if the first one is doing well.
He doesn't have to buy a damsel. Chromis sell for $10. I sure haven't seen any clowns for under $30 each. My suggestion was to go with something inexpensive to start out with since he has already lost a chunk of change and is discouraged.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back